Can you give me an outside perspective of the situation please? Broke up because we're too young, but not following the most traditional way?

We started our relationship when he was 16.5 years old and i had just turned 18 (for the avoidance of misunderstanding me, i was born in a country in which children first go to school at the age of 7, then moved to another country where they start school at the age of 6), we were in the same class, both mature for our age and no playing games with each other. Big love and best friends. Living together for 4 years of university.
Fast forward 5 years from the day we got together, in about February , we started talking about a possible breakup, not because we didn't love each other or cared, but wanted to have more experiences, a better social life and to find ourselves outside of the relationship. We where very honest and it was not an easy talk. Summer came, we made sure we would take a long time wanted vacation trip, remained together for the summer and finally decided when summer is over we are too, and that was this month. It was a very peacefull and depressing break up, including a bit of shared crying. He said to me that it feels like he's giving up on the lottery after he has won it, and wants to continue having my friendship at least, because i'm his most beloved friend to whom he can talk freely about anything and be himself, the same applies to me too so we agreed to start seeing each other strictly as friends once a month, a phone call here and there, share any new found good music or moviesand travel together again, once we are ready. He does not exclude the possibility of getting back together in some years and neither do I. And one thing I know for sure is that he does not want to be in a relationship for a long while.
How does this situation look like to you?
Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading :)

02