How do I help someone become less dependent?

My best friend, Skyler, is dating our mutual best girl friend, Krystal. They have been together for 3 years. The problem is that Krystal is completely dependent on Skyler. She cannot seem to be happy when he is away or doesn't talk to her. She threatens suicide if he breaks up with her. She goes into a depression when he is angry with her or ignores her for doing something stupid.

Skyler has had enough of this. He has been talking with me about breaking up with her for good because this is emotionally exhausting for him. How do I help her out of this dependency on him? I love her like a sister and I don't want her to be hurt and I don't want Sky to feel like he is responsible if she ends up committing suicide over this.

01