So I need any advice possible?

My boyfriend broke up with me 2 months ago. The problem is we moved in together 3 months ago, and we've been together 3.5 years. It's been incredibly difficult, I cry daily, I just can't get over him. I go out, I try and be social and move on but it's so hard. We planned on getting married, spending our lives together, etc. He broke up with me because I was a bitch, and he doesn't know why I pushed him away for 3.5 years (I did so because of a past relationship, he was a horrible person), and now I lost the only man I wanted to be with forever.
I've changed for myself, so I can be happy and nicer. I don't know what to do to get him back. Im in the midst of writing him a letter explaining everything, but what can I do? He acts like were best friends so Im confused.
I want to create a mature and happy relationship with him, I just don’t know where to start. Do I stay out more or do I hangout with him? I tried talking to him, and all he said was we work better this way I think he is taking advantage of this time apart because I am in the process of changing and he knows he doesn’t have to make a decision right away. He’s enjoying his freedom because there's no need to make a rushed one.

20