Why do guys break up with girls and then want to get back together months even years later?

My ex boyfriend dumped me about 2 years ago. Although he dumped me I felt the breakup was mutual because I wasn't really hurt by it. A week after he dumped me he wanted to get back but I told him it was better we remained friends. He was cool with that and it seemed that way for a while. Within the last two years we have stopped talking for some brief periods and then he will initiate interaction with me again. So here we are again, talking to each other after a brief period of not communicating. Why do guys do this? I haven't dated anyone since him and I know he hasn't seen anyone else either. I know he wants to get back with me but sadly I can't say the same about wanting to get back with him

1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• It's hard to truly get around someone who had such a big part in your life- even if you meet a 'perfect' person after and they don't work out... You'll want to know how things might have been different with the ex

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 2

• Well you only need the light when it's burning low.
    Only miss the sun when it starts to snow.
    Only know you love her when you let her go.

1|0
    0|0
  • So one guy did this to you, and you suddenly think all men do this? Stop generalizing.

1|0
    0|0
    • You're right not all men do this. But a handful do so I'm trying to understand why they do it? The same could be said about women.

What Girls Said 4

• Well I think in cases like that it either means he wants to get back with you romantically or he is trying to get attention from you to boost his ego again. Sometimes guys want to see if you still miss them and they kinda "check up" on you. I've had a guy or two try this before. My best advice is to stick to no contact if you don't see getting back together with him again as a option. It's just better that way especially if he still has feelings for you can't seem to let go.

0|0
    0|0
    • I'm sure he wants me back romantically. I have known him since we were in middle school but we were never close friends. We got involved until I found out he was going through some hard times due to his mom being sick and eventually passing away. I reached out to him to let him know I was there for him if he needed anything. He's a nice guy but we are so different. He's a homebody and I'm more outgoing. I like talking to him and I know it helps him feel less lonely. I genuinely don't mind being his friend but it's hard when I know he wants something else

• Girls do this when they realize the person they hs was worth their time after getting shit over by assholes.

Guys do this cause they don't love you but since they are crap at finding women to get laid with they return back to their ex a steady source of sex.

Eighther way have some pride and self-esteem and kick the jerk to the curve.

0|0
    0|0
  • Women do this too! A lot of people don't realize what they had until it's gone.. Their loss though:)
    #BestThingINeverHad

0|0
    0|0
  • An ex kicked me to the curb once and wanted to get back with me 2 weeks later. Silly rabbit.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes