Why would you miss an unhealthy relationship?

I was on and off with a girl for 6 years. She broke up with me three times and cheated on me once. I finally cheated on her after all the years of abuse and she cut me off like I was no one. I forgave her every time but she didn't return the favor. I know she wasn't good for me. She is narcissistic, mean, depressed, self centered, and aside from the great sex, an insufferable bore. I've moved on, and I'm even with a better girl, but I still feel like ass. It's been about six months and I still find myself checking up on her. She's added and deleted men on her Facebook and last time I had a friend check it, she said dating sucks and is still living with her parents at the age of 30. I should be happy, but I'm not. I miss her. I think about her with other people and it tears me up, and I don't want to care anymore. I've taken steps: working out, going to school for my dream job, getting strange, and finding a better woman. Still I'm butt hurt. Can someone explain this to me?

30

Most Helpful Girl

• I feel your loss, i dated my ex for 9 years, drugs, cheating and im still hurt because you spent so long together and for me its like i lost a sibling, i lost a connection i had with someone for years. And there is the regret too, the years wasted, it feels like a mistake, and we have a child together so i always feel guilty.

I try to remember that we had good times but grew apart and that ill find someone new one day, but its important to heal before pursuing a new relationship, one month for each year i heard its good to clear your thoughts and figure out who you are where you went wrong, and just find yourself enjoy being single because its rare and its a really good time to connect with yourself.

i cried for 2 months but im on month 4 and going strong.

• I'm glad I'm not alone.