Why is my ex sometimes nice and sometimes mean?

My ex contacted me out of the blue asking if he can send me a letter. It's been 5 months since he broke up with me for another girl. I don't know if they are still together or not, but we started to message eachother a little to catch up.
At times he seems nice and funny, but sometimes he gets sensitive and mean towards me. I'm not sure why because I'm just joking and before we broke up, I would say the same thing and he would be fine with it. I'm not sure why he's acting like this why is it?
And as for me, I'm still bitter about him breaking up, but is it better not to mention it?

10