Why does he want to stay friends with me after we broke up?

We went out for a couple of months. We broke up mutually but more so from pressure on his part. He stressed staying friends.

It's been two weeks. We sit next to each other for class.

He eavesdrops, then tries to talk to me, to get my attention, to make me laugh, and he teases/flirts with me. I don't respond very much and he continues to try. I don't hate him, but I need time.

The other day he just stared at me for almost the entire hour, I don't think he realized I noticed.

To me, when I break up with someone, it's because I need to be apart and I want space from them. I don't understand his actions.

Can someone give their opinion? Thanks.

20