He broke up with me because I told him I love him. I want him back?

I been with my bf and he broke up with me afyer 1 year because I told him I love him. He says he cares but he doesn't feel the same and it's the right choice not because he wants to but he has to because it's not fair... in the beginning he said he loved me but then said we need to take things slow (he's a cancer )... I want him back I been clinging to him well because it's so hard right now he said he wants his space... it's so hard but I want him back!! Will he come back or will he realize what he lost... he said he was happy with me until I told him how I felt.. I just don't understand how can a person just break things off like that?

10