What lessons have you learned from your relationships?

Question says it all! As for myself, I've learned that communication is really important; i've learned to let things go because love cannot be forced or make people change.

118

Most Helpful Girl

• I've learned to not set my expectation too high. Cause if you don't, it doesn't hurt as much.

• Romance movies do it to women, p*rn does it to men. We think "oh, they're going to be exactly like that", then we get in to the real life, and it's like, oh wait, this is high school, all over again

What Guys Said 8

• Pre-relationships : Don't Ask, Don't Tell (most sex history details); honest communication; loyalty; don't be a douche; keep her safe; ensure she knows you appreciate her.

1st. Once a liar & cheater, always a liar & cheater. Open relationships are not for me. Love isn't an excuse to get walked over. Don't second guess yourself. (after breakup) don't let her use you to cheat on her new boyfriend. NC can be necessary.

2nd. No matter how much you want something to work, life can get in the way. And no one's to blame. LDR's are not for me. Don't put my life on hold for anyone. Ex's can be distant friends, if the breakup was under good terms.

3rd. Never feel settled for. My happiness is just as important as hers. Don't become an excuse for her to start shit with others, with her thinking you'll always put yourself in harms way to protect her from her actions. (after breakup) NC can be a wonderful thing.

4th (current). If they're important, make the time. Be there, like they're there for you. Say what you feel, if it's hard to show emotion. Longtime friends really can become awesome couples... & still learning...

• (1.) I suck.
    (2.) Don't date anyone younger than 16.
    (3.) Don't date and overly sheltered, insecure girl.

• Just be honest or there's no point in even talking.

Share interests or go your separate ways.

Grow together or wither and die with the sands of time.

• I was looking for advice on the internet in dealing with a relationship issue and all the professional advice was that I had to communicate. I thought to myself, Damn! I did it little by little and then just said screw it and became much more open. The professionals were right. It worked out.

• To wait til marriage..

• If you are not wholly and completely yourself, you are setting yourself and your partner up for failure and regret.

• that i am not cut out for relationships at all

• That you can't just stop talking and texting them maybe once and twice a day for 2 weeks and then try and hang out with them, Girls don't like that and then they will break up with you :( ...

What Girls Said 10

• Be prepared for disappointment
    Don't trust immediately
    Their personality in the beginning is a sugar coated version of what they're really like
    Don't believe everything they say
    Communication and trust is key
    Everyone has the ability to cause you pain, no matter how amazing they appear to be or make you believe
    Don't let them get to you or open up too early because it gives them the chance to manipulate you if they're like that
    Everyone's flawed, you just have to choose which flaws you're happy to live with
    Don't change yourself to impress them

• My last relationship taught me to never settle for less. If someone really loves you they'll find a way to show you instead of just saying it. You can't change a person no matter how much you want to. If they want to change they'll change in there own. Never ever take back an ex, leave the past in the past. Communication and honesty are big parta of a relationship. Get to know the person before you decide that you really want to be in a relationship with them. Looks can be somewhat deceiving. Just because he may have nice looks doesn't mean he's good for you. Anyone can say I love you with a mouth full of lies. If you have done all that you can to make the relationship work and partner has done nothing in return then maybe it's time to walk away.

• ... don't be in a relationship. That's what I've learned.

• More Communication
    No Petty Arguments

• Actions and words mean nothing! Time says and shows everything.

• I've learned to choose who I give up my most precious sleep time to, wisely.

• Never trust what other pleople say about yours (the relationship).

• I've learned to let people walk away from me, if they wanna leave then they should leave..

• Once a cheater always a cheater, and some people can't be changed no matter how hard you try

• I've only has two that both later less than 3 months
    So I'm not sure what I've learned

• That it seems to be you can't hold long relationships... and that you need to figure out why that is

• @ccc89 and he used me too!!! So it's okay

• You had a choice