Long Distant Relationships: If your partner has broken up with you do you stay in touch? or just let them go? when you kind of still have feelings?

My ex and I were in a long distance relationship (Germany-US) for over a year. Out of nowhere this summer, he told me he met a girl and wanted to end the relationship. I was heartbroken, but I understood; we didn't know when we would see each other again.
Six months later, he he messages me out of the blue asking if he could send a letter to me. I'm not sure what it's about since it hasn't arrived yet, but in the mean time, he messages me asking how I'm doing etc .

I'm a little hesitant to just start talking to him, because I don't want to get attached to him. Between the six months, we talked once, and it ended up ugly because he told me the girl that he was dating was actually an exchange student and she went back to her home country, so it was ok to talk to me again. Then told me, he 'didn't have any favorite (girl)'.

Before this whole thing, we were really in love and talked about getting married. But now I just feel like his option B or something.

I don't know if it's best to keep in contact with him with maybe in the future having the possibility of getting back together? or just move on and tell him I don't want to be his back up plan.

I'm conflicted and think about this a lot... just because he meant so much to me, but at the same time, I'm getting tired of this.

Thanks!

23

Most Helpful Guy

• Just let 'em go.

What Guys Said 2

• You should move on it's the best for both of you because even if he gets together the second someone that lives in his area that he likes shows intrest he will do the same thing.

• Leave him start long distance relation with me. just give me pm if u r interested

What Girls Said 2

• I just let them go

• You always have feelings but let them go