Break up with boyfriend because he's a republican?

Ok I am a very liberal person and he's conservative. I'm very well educated and informed in my political views while he (and he said this himself) gets his views from his parents. I feel very strongly about my views while he is pretty wishy washy but stubborn- he doesn't really care but won't change his opinion of hear differing views. We've had a lot of other issues because of his general ignorance (we're an interracial couple he's white im not). He doesn't see our political differences as a big deal but it really bothers me especially since his is based on absolutly no critical thought. We can't have intellectually stimulating conversations about other things either. He's nice and absolutly adores me but I'm really not getting the intellectualism that I need in a parter from him.

312

Most Helpful Guy

• In other words, you're considering ending the relationship because he doesn't stimulate you, on an intellectual level... not because of his proclaimed political ideology & affiliation. To which, I say: That's your right to do so. If you're not getting what you need, after having an honest conversation about what's missing, you should do what you think will be best for you.

• Yeah I mean a lot of it is that he's a republican because his parents are and he just doesn't seem to have any mental drive to think for himself. But also political issues have divided us (ferguson/femminism/gay rights/healthcare) but it's not even like we can have a constructive conversation about them where we respectfully disagree because he's just so... Doesn't even have his own opinions.

• It's possible he simply doesn't care about the political arena, like most citizens. By using aspects of his upbringing, in mimicking his parents, to provide a foundation for when it comes to these topics of conversation. A touch of stubbornness I can understand, when it comes to core beliefs & principals. But to be overly stubborn, in regards to politics? I find that questionable, on his part.

Sounds like this isn't just a case of differences in political ideology & lack of intellectual conversation, but also lack of understanding & insensitivity. The "sheepish" approach is annoying, when people simply repeat what they hear, & don't bother researching the issues themselves.

What Guys Said 11

• Differing political viewpoints can ruin a relationship if held with a high regard. In the end though, you destroy your credibility by calling him ignorant and I feel that your issue is more with an intent to convert him to your beliefs more than anything.

• I like the way you accuse him of general ignorance, rubbish his opinions state that he has no critical thought and that you are unable to have intellectually stimulating conversations with him and yet maybe you displays all of these things too.

It sounds to me like you're not compatible. You see him as being inferior and you as being superior, so I think you'd be doing him a massive favour if you did break up with him.

• Well, he's told me himseld that he gets his views from his parents and can tell I dumb myself down for him- he was the one who brought it up first. Please do not assume things about the relationship.

• I'm going by what you have typed, so I am not making assumptions, I am commenting on what I have read.

• And politics strikes again. Its not bad enough that its ruining the world, it seems to have upgraded to ruining relationships too. where will it strike next...

• You knew he was before you started dating him. Whatever makes you happy.

• You, like many liberials, are intolerant, self-righteous and closed. You just dont see that in yourselves even though it is pretty much everything that you say you aren't.

• Yeah I know how you feel. I kinda Have the same problem in my relationship. The problem has died down a bit.

• So what he will only hire u for few months use u n throw u off like a tissue paper,, hunt another fool chick... It sucks...

• Leave him if he's not intelligent like you say so

• If he's really that conservative he wouldn't date a black (I guess) girl. I don't know.

• It's not really worth the fights coming.

• It shouldn't matter what political party he is from. but it's your choice
    i wish you well

What Girls Said 3

• Both of you are not compatible in that sense but not because he is Republican etc. It is more like you need a partner who can engage in intellectual convo with.

• If you have to ask, you kind of want to do it. So do what you want to do.

• At the end of the day, politics isn't what rules the bedroom. But meh, if you weren't happy, you aren't happy... I'm sure, later you will see the flaws of your younger self.