Boyfriend smokes cigarettes, should I break up with him?

so when we started dating he mentioned that he quit smoking and I'm starting to think he only quit so I would find him more attractive because after we were in a relationship he started to smoke again and I find it so unattractive and I told him if he wants to go anywhere in our relationship then he needs to quit or i will eventually leave, am I being unreasonable?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• If smoking is a deal breaker for you, let him know. If he wants you, REALLY wants you, he'll make that leap to do it. It won't be easy, but he will. I say tell him right off that if he wants to stay with you, he has to give up cigarettes.

If he wants to quit, help him through the quitting process. Be continuously supportive and encouraging; this WILL take time to beat because it is an awful addiction. If you two love each other, though, you'll work through it. Maybe advise the vapor cigarette.

If he chooses not to give it up, and it's a big deal to you, then break up with him. There are plenty of men in this world who will love you and want you who don't smoke.

I, myself, am anti-drugs/anti-cigarettes, PERIOD. I hate the smell of cigarettes and everything they affect. I would not EVER date a man who smoked.

3|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 15

• I don't think you are being unreasonable. but also know that quitting isn't easy at all. most people fail several times before truly quitting.

talk to him about quitting. talk to him about how he plans to quit and how you can help him quit... trust me as a former smoker even when I wanted to quit it was much harder than I imagined it would be. it took me almost two years to fully quit.

2|0
    0|0
  • No your not being unreasonable.. smoking is terrible habit that not only
    harms his health but non-smokers as well.. i know my cousin smokes
    and it's horrible everyday to be sitting in same room and she lights up
    so your better off to talk to him about it.. tell him it's he quits smoking
    or your going to have to call the relationship off between you two..

0|0
    0|0
    • We almost broke up because of that and he swore he would try his best to quit, but it seems like he isn't trying to quit instead he tries to cover it up better the good thing is that he doesn't lie about it een though he knows it will disapoint me he is honest. I'm trying to be understanding that it's hard to quit and I also don't want to feel like I am trying changing him. All I know is that I don't want to live and start a family with a guy who is addicted to something.

• Yes i agree smoking is horrible habit that destroys lungs, causes
      allergies, if you have kids they will develop asthma, have bronchitis
      all the time. My dad was smoker with us kids growing up it was bad
      i hope you can come to some conclusion with him and hope it
      works out for the best.

• I think you are. If you're thinking of leaving him over something pretty trivial like that it doesn't sound like you're that invested in him anyway.

And it's far more likely that he genuinely tried ro quit and his willpower let him down like happens to people trying to quit smoking every day rather than being some deceitful scheme to seduce you. Sounds like you're trying to find ways to build this smoking thing into a big issue because you'd feel better about dumping him over that than just because you aren't into him any more.

1|0
    2|0
  • If he actually did what you think he did then yes you should break up with him because he lied to you and relationships can't last when people lie.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, you aren't. Smoking is really a big deal and can kill not only the smoker itself but the people who live with him. So, you're right!

0|0
    0|0
  • Cigarette smoke has quite a few toxic chemicals in it... no, it's not unreasonable to break up with someone over it.

0|0
    0|0
  • no, your right... he has to sacrifice and prove his love.

0|0
    0|0
  • you can't force him to give up smoking because you want to. it's his choice and only

0|0
    0|0
  • I would. But my views on this are fairly set to stone. You probably should give a warning first.

0|0
    0|0
  • if its a deal breaker for you.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sure go ahead

0|0
    1|0
  • You are not being unreasonable.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would but then again I wouldn't have a bf

0|0
    0|0
  • If it is a big deal for you then yes break up

0|0
    0|0
  • Just start smoking

0|0
    1|0

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

Recommended myTakes