Why do people reach out to exes when they are dating someone else?

I posted a question on here about why my ex-boyfriend of 2 years would reach out wanting to be friends after only 4 months post-break up. We had a mutual, friendly, but
difficult break up and went completely under NC.

I met with him last night and I asked him (since this seemed strange to me) and he said "you're a very special person. I've never met anyone like you before".
It turns out he is dating someone else now though and I told him I didn't think it would be a good idea since it would be disrespectful to his new gal and unfair to me since he would probably end the friendship since he mentioned she was already troubled by it. We hugged twice for a while and he kissed my head.

It's just a confusing situation because I don't really understand why someone would reach out to an ex, only 4 months after a break-up, if they're dating someone? any personal experiences/opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

10