Now what? Is it really over?

I've been dating this man for about 3 months and everything has been going great. He was engaged to to someone he was dating for years up until about 7 months ago prior to us dating. We made plans to get together this weekend, and we had a great time again. last week and yesterday I noticed a little hesitation and distance in intimacy so I asked if there was something wrong, and little by little he said that he really really likes me and Im a great person, but that he feels stuck because he's having hard time moving on with our relationship because he doesn't know if he is really over the ex. Well, if I didn't ask, was he ever gonna tell me this? I think i know what i have to do, but im not sure Im ready to do it because i think I've actually fallen for him and it truly hurts.

Here's a kicker though. We spontaniosly scheduled a getaway thats actually in 2 days. I was contemplating on cancelling but in all honesty, after all the planning and desperately needing a vacation, im still going. He think that I should still go and that we can have fun. Anxiety is at its highest right now. Wow, i really can't believe this whole thing is happening.
he stayed over my house because i didn't want him to drive back that late and after wine... this morning we talked and he apologized saying that he thiught he was ready to date and that this rollercoaster happens every so often. He said that he still wants to keep in touch, talk and doesn't want me to just stop talking to him. I told him that he needs to do what he needs to do, that Ill be happy for him if he's happy, but I can not be there with him feeling like this because its painful to me.
So, we went away together... and it was the worst thing I had to go through. Mood was gloomy the whole day but we spent it together. Slept in different beds, and 5am phone rand, and it was his ex (not any more). He told her he wasn't answering phone calls and texts because he was busy/having guy time at the hotel... pretty much lied through his teeth. We came home and that was that. No more calls, texts or anything. To say that I;m hurt is an understatement but I know it will pass and I'll be OK

52

Most Helpful Guy

• Just continue as normal until the conversation comes up again and you can ask him what he really thinks.

Most Helpful Girl

• At least he was honest with you. It may hurt but you cannot change who a person loves. It may not seem like it but you will get over it. Why love someone whos heart is somewhere else? Besides, he was single for only 4 months before he started dating you- that is surely not enough time to get over a failed engagement. I am sorry but you might of been the rebound. You have to move on or give him time to figure out what he wants no matter how painful it is because this pain is short lived compared to the pain still being involved with someone and chasing someone who loves someone else.

• You're right and I understand this. Its hard only because I have a lot of feeling for him, but I can only control myself, not him.