Would it bother you if the person you are dating were good friends with his/her Ex?

Tonight I’d like to chat with you about an important issue in relationships. I’d love to hear your opinions, questions, and comments, so please feel free to share. (No questions are silly questions!)

I will start tonight’s #GAGExpertChat with this hot question "Should you be friends with an Ex"?
For the Poll please tell me "Would it bother you if the person you are dating were good friends with his/her Ex?"
  • No, I would not mind at all.
  • I might mind--depends on how long it has been since they dated.
  • I might mind--depends on who broke up with who.
    Vote C
  • This would probably bother me a little.
    Vote D
  • This would definitely bother me a lot.
    Vote E
What's the point of being friends with an ex?
Last Call for questions and comments: Tell me what you REALLY think about people who are friends with their exes!

3755

Most Helpful Guy

• That honestly is not a subject I would want to be an expert of.

Anyways, I voted C). Conceptually, as long as they realize that "an ex is an ex for a reason", they can be friends as long as it is balanced and they don't try to reestablish their previous relation. I am not exactly known for my forgiveness, hence why if I choose to leave someone myself, I wouldn't bother retrying later. In concept, anyways.

The point of being friends with them of course is that just because being heavily invested in each other's lives didn't work, that doesn't necessarily mean they are shitty people. So you may as well maintain a relation, just not a romantic one.

• Interesting take. If they weren't shitty people, then it might be okay. But what if it gets in the way of another relationship?

• Well, it'd get in the way if you want to reestablish anything from the previous relation, and you have regrets that they're an ex and the like. In which case jealousy is reasonable, as it is a "threat" in that regard. But if they're friends with no sexuality or renewal in sight, then there's no reason for it to get in the way.

Some people are just too cool to just stop talking to forever, that's all - even if dating them doesn't necessarily work out :p

Most Helpful Girl

• None of your poll answers apply to how I feel.

In and of itself, being friends, does not bother me.

This is not changed based on who broke up with who, or by how long it's been, because ultimately, none of that matters at all.

Not. One. Bit.

What matters.. ALL that matters... is 2 things.

First, is their dynamic.

Are they just friends? or do they have that sexual energy, draw, edge, still.

Second, do I trust him?