Why are people against divorce?

I think it's really pathetic in my opinion.

711

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm against marriage to begin with... so divorce is juts as bad lol.

What Girls Said 7

• I'm not against divorce, but I believe you should try hard too save your marriage before just giving up :)

• Really pathetic? I sincerely hope you never find yourself in a position where you promise to love, honor and cherish someone for the rest of your life only to find yourself miserable and unhappy, facing a choice if life long misery or turning your back on your vows through divorce.

You speak out of the innocence of youth, and that is OK. Just know that no one ever marries with divorce as their end goal. Not sure what your alternative would be; perhaps misery for life for daring to believe you found and married "the one?". I hope no one reading this finds themselves facing it, but until you do, don't presume to judge those that had to make a difficult choice.

• Yes, it's pathetic and if one person breaks the commitments and vows there is NO reason for the other person to keep them. What benefits does the faithful person get? NONE.

• Hence my apology. I also read further down where in your own words, however, you said you thought both were stupid. Either way, apologize for misreading the question.

• Sorry your words "pathetic" not stupid further down.

• It all depends on the individual person, it could be for religious reasons, not wanting to break up kids, they think those seeking divorce are taking the "easy way" out (it in no way is). There's so many reasons people give as to why they're against it. Unfortunately there is always a gray area no one is aware of until they're in the situation.

• One reason may be that they may have this ridiculous media-fueled notion which implies that marriage is forever.

• Against maybe because of :
    1) children
    2) religion
    3) family pressure
    4) splitting of assets
    5) some people have fairytale dream of marriage

• Divorce is pathetic? Or people against divorce are pathetic?

• Because a lot of religions didn't condone things like divorce

What Guys Said 10

• Why are we pathetic if we're against divorce? The whole reason for being married is to be together forever, and divorce just negates that. Why get married if you're just going to end it? No, we are not pathetic. Divorce causes a lot of problems, especially when children are involved.

-The kids suffer from having a broken family
    -Court costs
    -One of the divorced parents will usually be forced to find somewhere else to live, and in this economy, that is not easy
    -Longer work hours for the parent who keeps the kids
    -Confusion about why the parents divorced

The list goes on, but I am shocked that you would say something like this. Marriage is a sacred bond of trust, love, faithfulness, and a symbol of unity. To destroy that with a divorce is sacrilege. Now, I understand why some divorces happen, and I am not judging those who have a legitimate reason to end their marriage, but I do believe that divorce is only to be considered as a very last resort. If a marriage can be saved, and I fully believe that 90% of divorced marriages can be, the married couple has a responsibility to themselves, each other, and any children involved to attempt to save that marriage.

End rant~

• NO if one of the partners breaks the bond, then the other party is not obliged to keep the marriage together.

• i'm not against divorce, I'm certainly not for it. I understand that it is often times a part of life... but just to give an opinion on why people might be against it...

you do make a vow to stick together when you get married. so you do commit to this. additionally if there are children involved there are tons of studies that show that divorce can (not always of course) have devastating effects on children.

• What is pathetic? Divorce or people who think divorce is wrong?

• Once you marry you legally make a commitment, commitments are hard to break (or should be) and many people look to these breaks as being a bad thing. Divorce is just a legal break up. Though, situation gets complicated when the couple have children, so it can be really harder.

• Because marriage, religious or secular, is a life commitment. Divorce is the breaking of a life commitment. That's kind of a big deal. It also ruins people emotionally and financially, with kids getting caught in the crossfire.

Sometimes it can't be avoided. A breaking of vows by either partner is automatically a divorce whether it's official or not. So it isn't always both partners being terrible in every single case.

• I don't know anyone who is against divorce as such. But, I do think many people do get divorced without properly thinking it through, and I think many people get married without properly thinking it through.

• I think it's because it's being seen as an easy way out now. 'I feel we lost that spark that I'm suddenly getting back with some strange at the gym. I want a divorce.'

What ever happened to 'Love you for better or for worst'.

• Males are usually against it because female can wipe out your bank account.

• The kids probably will get ping-ponged between both parents, the will have to adjust to step parents , and siblings. Not a drama but not really reassuring for children.

• Because people want love not fighting until it is a shit