How do I break the awkwardness of a failed relationship with a long time friend?

I have had this friend with whom I've been pretty close to all my life. We've always had this weird spark that made us seem like a good couple but we never really acted on it until recently. I asked her to be my date to a banquet, and she said yes. We started talking and even went on a date afterwards. After about a week of everything going great she decided that she just wanted to be friends. It became super awkward between us and I hate it so much because we used to hang out a lot and we still go to church together, so I can't avoid her. If we could get past the awkwardness we had been planning on going to prom but I'm not sure about it now. I had already gotten a lot of stuff ready for prom. If anyone has any advice at all id appreciate it so much.

11