Girlfriend wanted a break, was I wrong for dumping her?

We've been together for 4 years with a 3 year old son. She has been in a sober living house for 6 months and is a month away from leaving. Her friends at the house have told her it is not a good idea to live with me because I am still actively drinking. She asked me to stop and I did for a week here and there but one day she came home, smelt beer on my breath and started crying saying she hated me, didn't want this anymore and finally after I asked if she wanted to end the relationship she said she wanted a break for 30 days.

Now, this girl has been to treatment for drugs probably 6 times in the 4 years we have been together. I'm glad she finally 'got it' and I do feel like an asshole for not totally stopping what I was doing. I understand that she is in a vulnerable place and I don't want to be the reason she goes back out.

So we 'took a break' for about a week. I would see her every day when I dropped off and picked up my son at her sober house. When I would try to talk to her she would be very rude, start calling me crazy, etc. I wanted to know the boundaries we were setting for this break, are we seeing other people, etc. She told me 'you can do whatever you want, I'm not cheating on you. You need to get healthy. Prove to me you can be sober for 30 days". So that was that.

Finally today, after dropping off my son and dealing with her rude attitude I sent her a text. I told her basically that I was gonna do for her what I felt like she was afraid to do herself and we were broken up for good. I didn't want to be on the back burner and the fact that she expected me to do that showed me she had no respect for me. I told her we should see other people, work on ourselves and see what happens. I felt she liked having me grovel over her and promised I would not do that anymore.

I didn't want to do this but I felt I had to. I wasn't happy with the situation and wasn't sure that even if I did stay sober, which I had, we would reunite. Was I wrong?

10