How do you know when to walk away from a marriage or keep trying?

No attention, affection, commonalities. Very different people. I'm very alone all the time. Little to no trust. Living with an alcoholic.

44

Most Helpful Guy

• i'm in the same boat! except she's not an alcoholic. I want to divorce and move on. But find it too difficult to do this.

What Guys Said 3

• I have been there - stayed waaaay too long in an abusive marriage. My recommendation is to try individual and couples counseling (it can be a pain because it's a time an emotional commitment). If you won't do that or if you've tried and failed then you aren't doing anyone any favors staying together, in my opinion. ... and it took a lot for me to reach that opinion.

• If you answer yes to all your statements that follow your question, then it is time to walk

• you'll know it when you feel it

What Girls Said 4

• If you have tried everything humanly Possible with a Spouse who is not only a louse but a pie eyed problem as well, then it is time to start thinking of yourself now, Krystella. He is never going to change, is too much into the bottle and with 'No attention, affection, commonalities and More to boot... it is only going to get worse, just Continue down a beaten boozing path and end up with Nothing in the end but a War of the Roses and a dead end road.
    He Obviously doesn't want to seek help or Work on this "Help" to Improve his relationship nor marriage with someone whom has most likely been his life support and on top of this, an Enabler.
    Stop your Enabling, don't give him an excuse to keep doing it to you. By you Allowing him to get away with this every day, gives him a reason of even this season to keep waking up every day to lift not a finger to help you or be there for you, but to Take another Swig and just Swallow and Wallow in whatever Sorrows and no morals he has been living with.
    Tell hi if he doesn't do something to begin your beguine of making this marriage work, you are packing up, lock, stock and no bottle barrel and giving him his walking papers. Don't wait until you are 40 or even 50 to say "Why didn't I walk years ago?"
    Good luck and blessings for a new year, dear. xx

• Your last sentence sealed the deal for me.

• Therapy and rehab! If that don't work, divorce before you over exhaust yourself and not living life happy.

• When you can look in the mirror and know you have no regrets and you did all you could without losing your self image.