What's a break mean?

So myself and a girl I was dating are on a break, she never said how long she needed, why she wanted the break, etc. she left it open, like she could just pick up where it left off when ever she wants, is this a sign she is walking away?
Updates:
She started to distance herself 2 weeks ago, then on Wednesday of last week she sent a message saying I'm amess, I have lost interest in most things don't take it personal. Of course I toll it personal. I actually basically think I ended it when she was just wanting a break..
I believe the reason for it was because I was suffocating her with attention

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Makes me think back to Rachel and Ross from Friends. "WE WERE ON A BREAK!!!"

Anyway. If a girl says she wants a break, simply put, either she has issues, or you have issues, and she doesn't like whoever has issues, or the issues they have. She wants to distance herself from you to see if the relationship is going anywhere, and to get some space from you. Sometimes these breaks end badly, sometimes, she get's over herself and figures out what she needs to.

You need to talk to her about it, ask her what she really wants. It might hurt you in the end, but it's better than being in a complicated lie of a relationship.

1|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I know she has issues, 2 baby dads, etc. it just went down hill fast, within 2 weeks after dating for 5 months, it's just strange, i think she is just looking for a sugar daddy, I'm going through no contact for at least a month, I will see where it is after the month is up.

Most Helpful Guy

• Take this time to think about your relationship with her and what each of you did to lead you into this romantic purgatory. If you think you were suffocating her, back off. If she asked for a break, leave her alone, let her come back to you at her own pace; don't reach out to her in any way. When she does reach out to you, be busy and take an hour or so to get back to her; don't be too available. Assume that she wants to see you if she reaches out to you. When you call her back, don't mention the break or your relationship, just keep the conversation light and playful; if she says she misses you or is sweet like she used to be, ask her out. Be the first one to end the conversation in a moment where she seems to be happy and feeling warm: she will associate those feelings with you, instead of the feeling of being smothered. Let her do 90-100% of the pursuing until she says she wants to end the break. You need to rebuild her attraction in you by giving her the gift of missing you; she'll wonder what you're up to and will begin reaching out more.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Thanks, I ended up breaking it off with her, then a week later I told her I made a big mistake, she took me back the same day.. I'm currently limiting our time to a few short conversations a day, whats her motive for wanting me back so fast?

• Show All
    • You're welcome, and good luck!

• Thank you, I will have her hooked in no time after reading the book, I've never been one to chase, but something about her made me chase lol.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 6

• When someone says ''They need some space'' / '''Taking a break'' / ''Need to work on themselves'' take that as a WARNING SIGN. It can mean a lot of things:
    *She lost interest and is contemplating whether to continue the relationship or not.
    *The relationship is over and she already has someone new.
    Last but not least:
    *She really is working on herself, she maybe feels she can be a better girlfriend to you and come out much stronger and more loving.

0|1
    0|0
    • She did say she needs to focus on herself, but at the same time she is exploring other social circles.. I'm lost lol.

• I'm sorry to say this but based on what you just said it sure sounds like she's moved on.

• I think it depends on why you took the "break" in the first place. Did you do something to upset her? Or it came out of the blue?

0|1
    0|0
    • I think I suffocated her with attention..

• I see, well maybe give her a breather. Let her contact you first. If she doesn't, then try to let it go. Many more ladies in the sea.

• Break means one step to break up. Sorry. Just move on.

0|2
    0|0
  • Means y'all should break up. It's an excuse to check out the options.

0|1
    0|0
  • dude just move on

0|0
    0|0
  • Break means breakup. Move on pal.

0|0
    0|0
    • You do know one thing though. She doesn't love you as no one has a break from someone they love.
      This should help you move on.

• Show All
    • You must let her get back to you. Don't text her at all! It will push her further away.
      Respect her wishes and she will respect you.
      If you play it like this I guarantee she will be contacting you again.
      I'd still say to you to be wary though because I've never lasted with a guy I wanted a break with. Good luck though

• I know her past, I think it may be due to the abusive relationship she was in prior..

What Guys Said 4

• Stop contact immediately and out the ball in your court... I just went through this were my gf got suffocated and started pulling away then she broke up with me. I told her I wish her the best and walked away. She text me for the next 4 days and I replied really vague and short or didn't reply. A week later she told me she missed me and we got back together but now I give her space. We use to spend all day everyday now there are gaps so she can miss me. Were doing fine now

0|1
    0|0
    • I am doing NC right now, I'm just curios if she ever will contact me or if she thinks I will contact her..

• Show All
    • Hmmm I would think she is exploring. When me and my girl got back together she said she just wants us to be in the dating status bc having a bf right after a divorce is too much for her

• It really doesn't matter, but I would like to know that she at least is done or what her plan is, she was but at the same time wasn't clear about the future.

• You are free! Valentine's Day sucks and you are immune to its poison. Live Free for another day not a bad thing at all.

0|1
    0|0
    • It is good that I don't have to spend money on her now.

• It's the dipping-your-toe-in-the-water version of a breakup. Just a matter of time before you go in for the big splash. :-/

0|1
    0|0
    • So it's her just seeing wether she is able to live without me or not..

• Based on what you've written, it seems like she's just easing her way into a breakup. Sort of like ripping off a band aid super slow.

She might be depressed, she might have lost interest for whatever reason, or she might just have seen things moving too quickly for her.

Whatever it is, a break is usually a signal of a breakup to come. I'm sorry to say it, but that's generally the case.

• Before I started no contact, she was telling me there was a reason we met, she really does like me, etc..

• uhhh i'm afraid yes :-/

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes