What does "you're too good for me" mean?

A friend of mine just broke up with his girlfriend, and she dumped him saying "you're too good for me". I've heard of girls using that line before, so I was curious what it meant.

I figure that most likely she was just bullsh*ting him - that maybe she just wasn't that into him and wanted to let him down gently.

I figure there's also a chance that she had self-esteem issues and that from her perception, she for some reason believed that he actually was too good for her.

There's also a very slim chance that he really was too good for her due to some improbable factor that she knows that nobody else knows - like maybe she's a murderer, or she owes gambling debts to the mob, or she was born with male genitalia and pretends to be a woman. We will call this theory the "terrible secret" theory.

So, in your opinion, which is it?
  • She has self-esteem issues
  • She has a terrible secret
  • It's just b. s.
    Vote C
  • Other (explain)
    Vote D
  • Just checkin' answers
    Vote E

44

Most Helpful Girl

• I say that when I want to end it but don't want a big mess. I figure he takes it better if I stroke his ego.

But it's not me. It's him lol. Never beliebe a girl that says that cuz nobody does that.. if they want to be with you they won't be thi mount about whether they're good for you or not.

Most Helpful Guy

• Oh that's a compliment sandwich...

A very useful break up line you go compliment, break up, compliment:

You're such an amazing woman and I've learned so much with you; I just don't think we should see each other any more. You're just too good for me and deserve the very best.

BOOM! Compliment sandwich break up.