Did he mean it when he said "I don't love you"?

I broke up with my boyfriend over a misunderstanding because of a lack of communication on his part and I confronted him about it and he it sounded like he didn't want the relationship, so that's why I was ending it.

I asked him if he loved me and he said "I did love you and still do" but since it was a misunderstanding I told him that I still wanted to be with him, but he said he wanted time to think.

I kept questioning the relationship because of his lack of texting/calling me and his responses were always short like but he always said he wanted to be with me.

Everything was fin 3 weeks ago he would text me saying he loved me, wish I was holding you, and then he got distant, but he does work from 12am - 8am and he is tired.

So 2 days later I get a text saying "I need to get myself together K" and I didn't answer right away because I left my phone at home. 35 mins later he texts again "I don't love" and then 20 mins later "And I don't want to be with you" I was so heartbroken and still am because he happened 2 days ago.

Was it my fault or was this something he has been feeling already? Did he really mean what he said or he trying to hurt me?

20