How Can Parents' Divorce Affect A Child's Future Relationships?

Can it lead to commitment issues? Or not taking a relationship seriously?

22

Most Helpful Girl

• Personally, I get sick of the blame the parents cop out. My parents divorced but they weren't in love anymore. It was mutual so no weird complexes of who's fault it was. I am glad they didn't stay together for us kids, we would have all been miserable, plus I wouldn't have gotten awesome half siblings and a cool stepmom if they did.

I do tend to be picky about relationships though, about the 6 month mark I know if it is going to be long or short term by then and I tend to cut the short terms so none of the guys would be left lead on. If that is good or bad or due to my parents divorce psychologically wise, it doesn't matter, I take full personal accountability for my relationship decisions.

Most Helpful Guy

• Will have an effect for me I never realized how it effected me till I had some pysch classes talk about it. before the divorce I would see them fight constantly, and my father out of life for good, could never see or feel love :/ how can such thing as love as exist if this happened