Why would he buy me an eternity ring, then say he's not ready for commitment?

I asked my ex this and he didn't answer, I don't think he knows either.

Like two months before we split, he bought me an eternity ring which he was going to give me on our two year anniversary but he thought we might not last until then (we didn't, but why would you give it if you thought that?) He demanded that I have it and that I still keep it now.

He keeps changing his mind on things. He said he gave up on us when I didn't show him love for three months, which changed to, he wants to be single, young and free. Now he's saying he's actually not ready for commitment, despite telling me he wants to spend his life with me and we were planning on moving out. Now he's moving out without me. He must've known that he wasn't ready so I don't know why he'd buy me an eternity ring.

Could you guys shed some light on this?

05

Most Helpful Guy

• He is young and therefore is still figuring out who he is, what he does and does not want from life. If he is the same age as you at nineteen then he is still very young and will tend to be a bit fickle with his view constantly changing.

It is not fair on you because he is building things up, knocking things down and his indecisiveness is pulling you in one direction and then another. I think it would be best to keep some distance from him until he figures out what he does and does not want.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Yeah, I feel like he's messing me around and playing me now so I've chosen to stop contact with him for a while. Maybe he'll miss me so much that it'll help him make a decision.