Why is my exs friends still treating me like I am with my ex?

My ex ended our relationship basically suddenly 2 months ago after being under a lot of stress and becoming depressed, his best mate also started asking him why he is not making more of a commitment to me after 3 years and a child, as a result my ex thought it was easier to end the relationship then feel that pressure. The depression had a lot to do with the break up.
Since ending the relationship he has contacted me weekly, then ask to see me in person, he has opened up to me emotionally, we have hooked up, made future plans etc, then he pulls away for a few days needing some headspace.
I am only a little confused as his sister has been aware we have been in contact and is supportive of us, however my exs best mates are not aware that we have been in touch ( that I am aware off) however recently I sent a message to one of his mates to ask a question and was pleasantly surprised that his mate was speaking politely towards me etc and another friend was defending me, why are my exs friends still treating me like I am part of the group? I always thought that when a guys ends a relationship with a girl there is no way they keep in touch with her.

21