How to break up with someone?

so me and my boyfriend have broken up and made up three times now, i dont know there's no trust there and i feel its time to end it, as both of our respect for each other has gone! how should i break up with him? (this is a long distance relationship)

1322

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm sorry to hear this. Distance always adds an extra element of pressure.

I'm kinda old-fashioned with this, and I've always believed in doing this face-to-face... and be honest and straight up. Text or social media is a very impersonal way of doing this and leads to a lot of potential upset and misinterpretation from both sides. Calls aren't ideal unless you think serious drama might occur face-to-face.

Somewhere that's neutral, preferably not too isolated but somewhere you can both talk for as long as it takes without interruptions. If it helps, and you think you might struggle to get the words out, perhaps write down your thoughts in a letter and allow him to read it whilst you're there, and then ask any questions. This is how you learn from situations like this.

Most of all, stick to your guns, and be honest - really you've only got yourself to answer to in the long run, and although it sucks to do, you'll know you've done the right thing.

What Guys Said 21

• coz its long distance so i know there won't ever be a last note. but a note after note.
    so after the note u let him reply, whatever it is , just cut to the chase nd tell what matters which is that 'i just dont wana b here anymore'
    and then block everywhere or mayb jus reply with no feelings at all but as acquaintances.
    fuck its dificult. or may b u don need to say anything. nd talk lesser nd lesser untill it dies. at that point it won't be necessary to argue, u ll both know its over.. yeah this is better. juz let it die with tym.

• Wow !! Just tell him relationships are supposed to grow , flourish and become more. But you guys relationship has done the opposite and you just don't see any point in dragging each other through it anymore. Lay it all out in plain speach how it's no longer what you want and you know he doesn't either. Way too many people stay together beyond a relationship is over for no other reason than habit. They exist but never live for feeling smothered by a weight that they can't justify feeling.

• don't do some bullshit like a text or email.
    Call him. Talk with him. explain why if he wants to hear it.
    talk as long as needed but don't back down or change your mind because you feel bad. Learn to trust your gut.

• Tell him the truth, all your reasons for breaking up and do it. Truth can hurt, but it's the best way, an honest way and everyone deserves to hear it. So, I think the best way even though it may not be the easiest one.

• "Dearest X, we've been drifting apart for awhile now and I think that it's time to stop clinging to the ghost of what we had. We have reached the point in our lives where we can no longer grow together, thus to continue growing, we must do so as separate branches. Do not lament what we've lost, cherish what we had, as I do. Sincerely, Anonymous (18-24)"

• Just tell him the reasons, be honest.. if he is doing things badly, it's fair that he becomes aware so he can work on his weaknesses

• Just be upfront and totally honest. Overall honesty and polite bluntness Will do less damage than a lie or clever way to avoid awkwardness. Just tell him you want to break and give the true reason why.

• Tell him why you are leaving, say goodbye, break all contact and when he calls you hang up the phone.

• Long distance? Well i could see if you were living together it may have been a problem. Phone him tell him it's over. No easy way to do it just do it

• Post-it note

• just send him a message saying thank you good bye and change number and never try to interact again!!!

• Tell him I got a fresh one!!!
    Stale go away...:"

• Say it flat out and don't apologize, but give reasons.

• Just end it and keep firm tell him its final and then don't answer his calls/ texts

• Yes end it now course you will regret it latter

• There's only one way and that's by communicating with him. Tell him the truth sorry no easy way out

• Send him ur pic with someone by ur bed ;)

• Tell him you have hairy Legs, he will run away

• Text and say it. ─░ts done!

• making up and breaking up. you to are messing with each others feelings and thats not healthy. stay together or stay broken up.

• kick his nut sack without any reason!!!

What Girls Said 13

• I think so. I don't really believe in getting back together relationships anyway. Be totally honest, so in your case tell him that you feel you can't really trust him etc. Never lie about it to make it less painful, like "school is getting too busy". Be gentle with your words. Think about if you want to remain friends or really cut contact. If he asks you how to go further, but you want to cut contact, just tell him. Slowly bleeding it out is more painful. Tell him a compliment like "I do think you're a nice person, but I don't want to be in a relationship anymore".

• just call him and tell him that this is not working for you and that you want to break it off. easy.
    Doing it by text or email like some people suggest is horrible. Grow a pair!

• Just be straightforward and tell the truth and be honest. Don't hide anything just be honest and come out and say what you need to say. Its better to break up with someone face to face instead of breaking up with them over a text or something. Just speak the truth and you will be okay.

• If it's long distance it's pretty easy in my opinion. Call him or text him or Skype him or anything like that tell him it's over, you don't want to be in a romantic relationship with anymore because you lost connection with him and you want to look for someone around your area you can actually have an honest to god real relationship. If he keeps pursuing you by calling, emailing and stuff like that, if needed, change your phone number, use a different email, ya know stuff like that. (:

• Well I would think it's time to move on. Just be honest. The relationship has ran it's course, it happens. Good luck.

• don't be like me and breakup through text b/c things always get interpreted wrong! simply do it in person! or if you're uncomfortable with that i honestly feel like face timing is an option.

• Just tell him you don't want to be with him anymore. There's no good way to do this. Be honest and be strong. Don't let him influence your decision.

• Be confident don't send a text call him. Tell him it's not working out. And that it's best to see other people good luck

• work it out like regular people, if you really love him , but dont never break your standards if he doesn't understand that you deserve more, than he not for you.

• Tell him you think its not gonna work out. ''Its not you its me'' works really well even if u don't mean it. Answer my question?

• Chuck up the dueces and don't give a fuck about his feelings. That's what I always do.

• tell him that you have a lesbian feeling and you want to explore

• Tell him you love him and need him (emphasis on the need) and that you want to have his babies.
    He will be gone quicker than a heartbeat!

• LOL and that you've got the wedding planned and intend to be married by summer's end.