What to say to a friend going through a bad breakup?

I know this is long but it would really mean lot if you read it al...
So my best friend had been going out with his girlfriend for a little over a year now. she moved to a different city a while ago though and their relationship has been bad ever since. I guess he tried talking to her about it last night because she acts as if she doesn't have any time for him and he didn't know what else he could do. He's always doing everything possible to make her happy, he REALLY loves her. so last night when he tried reaching out to her she told him she hadn't loved home in a long time and was over it. She then said some nasty things to him and he isn't taking it very well. He told me today and just started crying. I have never seen him cry before in all the time I've known him. I want to be there for him, but I really don't know what else I can do or say. I'm also going to make an emergency sadness kit and bring it over to him tomorrow. It's going to have things like his favorite movie and a stress ball, tissues, candy, etc.
So basically I want ideas of the best things to say to someone who's going through this. Also some more ideas on what to ad to the kit would be helpful.
Thanks!:)

13

Most Helpful Guy

• Aww... Thats super sweet.

You've already got things figured out. Just be there for him. If he wants to talk about it, let him, and if he wants to keep his mind off of it, let him do that too.

The emergency sadness kit is an amazing idea, and probably one of the cutest things I've ever heard of. Hot chocolate powder and/or microwavable popcorn would be a good addition too I think.