Why would my ex call me?

So my ex has been calling me almost every week since he broke up with me and sometimes he confuses me by telling me he still loves me, but then when I start to text or call him he ignores me. So last week he told me he wanted to come see me but he didn't so I sent him a text telling him how I felt about it and that I promise I would walk away from him and this was on 3/11 and I expected to never hear from him again.

So today I had 3 missed call from him so I called him back and he answered and he asked how I was doing and I asked him how he was doing and he was really quiet on the phone so I asked what he has been up to and he said it doesn't matter, and then he said can I call you back in about 20 mins so I waited but he never called back so I tried to call him back but he doesn't answer.

Why would he do that?

10