Why do girls want to be friends after break up?

Why do girls want to be friends after break up?
Updates:
I would rather you hate me or love me but not be indifferent
Does it mean that you still care about a guy and want to keep him around just in case you change your mind OR you want to be JUST friends and never anything more OR are you just trying to make break up sound less painful?
I'm still confused lol

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Some people don't know how to let go and being friends makes it seem like they still have some sort of relationship with you

3|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't know, I don't see the point, move on and go separate ways!

0|0
    0|0
    • I personally agree with you sir anon

• We concur! lol. It's what I've always done, I don't think I'm missing out on anything and it's good to make a clean break.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 15

• Guys do the same thing, when my ex broke up with me he asked if we could still be friends and I told him NO

1|0
    0|0
    • Was your break up mutual? Was he trying to be polite or he really wanted to be friends?

• He broke up with me and I think he really wanted to be friends because when I said no he was a little upset

• because they can do... unlike guys they only see girls as something to mate with

1|0
    0|0
    • I have plenty of female friends I would never peruse romantically. They are beautiful and amazing people but they are my friends and that's all. 😝

• Show All
    • I strongly disagree. There are girls who are really cool but I'm not attracted to them sexually.

• So whats going on in your head when you break up with your boyfriend and offer to be friends? Do you seriously think you guys can be friends and you are not attracted to him even a bit?

• I don't lol I think it's just HELLA awkward remaining friends or still in contact with someone I just broke up with. It's like damn you used to kiss them and hug/cuddle them.. (If you had sex with them, well there you go) it's just REALLLLYYY awkward when you reach that stage.

0|0
    0|0
  • Friends doesn't mean you hangout every weekends and go to the movies. Saying friends is just making general truce. So no hard feelings, no anger, no resentment, and we're not enemies. That's what friend squally means

1|0
    0|0
  • I legit thought we could be friends. I didn't know everything would get complicated.

That was my reason.

1|0
    0|1
  • I honestly can't do it. Usually there's a reason for my break-ups, such as cheating or abuse, things that are unforgivable to me. So I have no desire to have anything to do with the guy usually.

0|0
    0|0
  • Girls want to be friends after a break up mainly because they may still care about you and don't want to loose you.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's a way to lessen the blow of losing someone she's talked to multiple times throughout the day, even when she is the one to break up with the guy. Just saying it and having him agree is almost like a bit of a truce that they won't be enemies afterwards.

The only way this could possibly work is if the guy and girl give each other space right after the break. At least a solid two weeks of no contact. Up to a month is best. After that, you both know you can live without the other. Only then would you be able to make a friendship work again. Even then, things just won't be the same.

0|0
    0|0
  • I really have no idea why so many women want to be friends with an ex. Personally I think it's best to just move on.

0|0
    0|0
  • because we still care about the guy.

0|0
    0|0
    • Can you define "care"?

• "verb: feel concern or interest; attach importance to something."

• in reality, they realize it doesn't work between the two of you, but still have feelings for you. those feelings cloud their judement, making them think those feelings will magically disappear and things can go back to the way they were before you started dating (if you started off as friends) or you can both play make-believe like you never had anything between you and this is a brand new friendship.

1 of 2 things happen. she never gets over you and is always waiting for things to be patched up and for you to get back together, or she does get over you eventually and suddenly drops off the face of the earth.

• We don't ~ Taylor swift

0|0
    0|0
  • I think some girls want to be friends because a friendship shouldn't be ruined because of a relationship. You should be able to be friends after you guys break up.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm not sure why girls do that maybe because they want to keep the person around for a while as a friend, they probably still care about them. I personally could not be friends with an ex, its just weird to me and it solves nothing. I tried being friends with my ex and it solved nothing it just made things awkward. I believe that if there was cheating whatsoever in the relationship I see nothing wrong with it. But some people just aren't okay with the idea of being friends after a break. Plus my ex and I we never started off being friends when we first dated. Weird? Yes, I know.

0|0
    0|0
  • Guys havese asked do me to remain friends after a break up. It's not girls it's just some people feel better keeping the friendship especislly if they were friends first and in the case of mutual breaks it's not hard.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because we think it's possible to be friends or it'll make the breakup less painful. Ex's can't be friends, though. I've learned this. Always be civil, but don't be close buddy-buddies.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 8

• Honestly no matter what reason a girl will conjure up, being friends after a breakup is a terrible idea! Its way too painful to be around eachother like that. Maybe you can be friends a year after the breakup, but they need to understand that a guy can't get over them with a snap of their fingers. It takes time, and it can't happen at all unless there is no contact while they are healing.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's a social thing. It's a trend. Better than the old trend let me tell ya.

0|0
    1|1
    • What are you talking about?

• Historically the way that breakups have been treated change with social attitudes. In the era of networking instead of avoidance and being cutoff there tends to be a sense of mutuality instead and an attempt at maintaining some level of bond.

• Only to use the guys as their emotional outlet. Being friends after a breakup is a VERY bad idea.

0|0
    1|0
  • Well, maybe not exactly friends but it's much better ending up in good terms. Most likely I'll keep bumping into my ex so, why not?

0|0
    0|0
    • What value does she bring to you after break up?

• I think it says a lot about you that you were mature enough to let it go, even if the other person did wrong. Besides, you'll be saving yourself lots of awkward moments, at least in good terms you'll be able to say hi, how's everything? And then just look away.

• They care about you but not in that way. They're felling are of love but not romantically.

0|0
    0|0
  • what's so bad about it? i believe tht's the best option basically

0|0
    0|0
    • Thats the worst option basically
      Why would you like to stay friends with someone who rejected you?

• but what about if you broke up after a decision made by both?

• Better being friends than enemies.

1|0
    0|0
    • Why? Who cares you ain't a thing anymore

• Because it's bad having enemies. There's no reason to be enemies, but if one person of the former couple doesn't want to remain friends, well, this person has this right either.

• Some guys want that too...

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes