Guys, help me understand my ex's decision?

I feel a little embarrassed asking this but here we go. This happened over a year ago now but I still struggle.

My ex broke up with me for a few reasons but a key one was our r/s was too 'hard', hinting very much to my situational struggle with depression. I was on meds and seeing someone for it but he decided he could not cope. We split, I was blindsided and heartbroken.

Within eight weeks of our split though, he was with someone else. He began dating a girl (friend of his bro) with a very complex and deep-rooted mental health problem, one that takes years to resolve. She is on some meds but refuses therapy. He'd previously referred to this girl as 'crazy' himself and advised me to keep my distance from her. I wish I had as in the short time between the break up and them getting together she gaslight me, manipulated me, was abusive towards me and lied to/about me. Mental health issue or not she was, and I would think still is, a very destructive individual. I almost took my life in this time I was so overwhelmed.

I doubt my ex knows about her contact with me at this time and what she said. It is likely she has smeared me to him. He hasn't spoken to me in over a year, I said some things I regret after our break up but our final exchange, just after he started his r/s with this new girl, was amicable. 3 months into their r/s they went away together, 6 months in they moved in together and now they have been together longer than we had! This girl lies, has rages, causes drama with work/friends, messes about with other guys.

I guess I just don't get it. I always tried to be caring, involved with our r/s, we got on well together, we had chemistry and my mental health I took responsibility for because I didn't want to be depressed myself nor put him through it. I don't want him to be with me if he doesn't want to be but I want him to be happy, so why with her?? They just seem totally incompatible and what kind of r/s is that?
To elaborate, I'm trying to work through some of the blows to my self esteem from these events with a therapist. I remember my ex being, hmm dense, but not a bad person, I am surprised he would find attraction to someone so unhealthy.

Then again, maybe I was wrong, it was a mask and he was a chump attracted to trash *shrug* :(.

2