How normal is it for people to become friends and hangout with their ex?

I am moving to the same city as my ex gf. We were really close friends in college but she broke up with me (distance, just want to be friends, etc..). I couldn't be just friends with her bc that's not what I wanted so I stopped talking to her. She texts me occasionally, but she always intitates it. She is always nice to me, but I know she doesn't have feelings for me. It's obvious bc I always liked her and she never wanted anything. Now I'm pretty sure she is seeing someone who is long distant from our college anyway (which really pisses me off). She expects to hangout with me when I move to her city in a couple months but I honestly don't ever want to see her again. Does this make me come off as a jerk? She doesn't think she ever did anything wrong and probably thinks I don't like her anymore. (it's been 1.5 years)

51

Most Helpful Girl

• Pretty normal as long as you are on the same page.
    Being friends with exes have their ups and downs.
    Since you clearly like her and have some hostile feelings because she broke up with you, you'd be better off if you weren't friends. It would give you the chance to forget about the break up. If you want to move on with your life and not relive the breakup and bad feelings, its fine.

What Girls Said 4

• Exes are exes for a reason. Besides, how do you think your future girlfriend will feel about this? Cut ties while you can. You two obviously did it once, and if you were such great friends, wouldn't you have still been a couple? Just get rid of her. Who cares what she thinks? You're not being a jerk, you're realizing your self-worth. Big difference.

• My ex became a friend of mine, but I have to say we had something when we were 14, so I don't think it really counts. He was the first guy I kissed with though.
    I don't think you come of as a jerk. Explain to her that you still have some feelings for her or no direct feeling, but it can awake if you guys meet again and then hope she'll respect your choice.

• some do, some don't.

there is no normal here.

• No I totally agree with you I don't think it makes you come off as a jerk if you don't want anything to do with her I don't blame you

What Guys Said 1

• it's normal basically in my opinion... ehat i don't get is y some people consnder their ex their mortal enemy basically... ughhh...:-/

• I agree, there's no need for being an enemy. I also don't think there's much room for being pals. Where's the in-between where exes just move on with their lives and don't give it a thought anymore? Because that's what I do. If I happen to bump in to one, I say hi, but I don't automatically owe them friendship. Exes are exes for a reason.