How to get over a heartbreak?

My ex and I broke up a few months ago and I'm still not over him. I was so in love with him that I'm absolutely heartbroken by the break up. I want to be able to move on with my life but I don't know how. I'm always thinking about him. He was my first real boyfriend so I've never gone through this before. So any suggestions on what I can do to try and get over him would be great!
thanks in advance xo

p. s- I hope this is in the right category, not sure if it should be in the dating/relationships one or not haha

37

Most Helpful Guy

• What's helped me when I was going through the same thing, was going on long walks. It's important to be on your own when you do this. As you walk, you'll pay attention to your surroundings and maybe you'll even get new ideas for things to do in the future. It's like a cleansing for your mind. And when you come home, you'll feel like you got reborn. You need to repeat this for a few times though to get the best effect out of it.

@JohnBhoy94 - He is very right when he says that you need to learn to live by yourself !

• Fresh air will also do wonders. It's scientifically proven that physical activity reduces sadness.

What Guys Said 6

• Don't listen to the idiots claiming you should "fill the void" with a new guy. One the stupidest things you can do is go on the rebound.

You need to learn to live by yourself. The only thing going on the rebound will do is prove that you're dependent on other beings to be happy.

You just need to get hold of your emotions and learn to love yourself.

• its very hard to get over a heartbreak, the best thing to do is finding someone else but i know that its very hard to have a new relationship with someone else :/

• I understand you 100% and i know its damn hard for you right now. But hey try go out with friends keep yourself busy. Go do some activites like sports or something it helps a LOT. And get hold of yourself. Be strong.

• Do youu like chocolate 🍫 or cake 🎂?

• Simple. Replace the new void with a new guy asap.

• Chocolate ice cream

What Girls Said 3

• Do the things that you like most, whatever hobbies you most enjoy.

Its hard to stop thinking of someone you cared/loved: so stop trying to "not think about him". Just let things be, try to find reason within the break up (why you broke up, how and any other thing): even if the heart won't let you see reason, trying to think logically will help you understand your feelings a little better: why you feel that way and how it got to be like that.

For me, it helped to change music: to a more girl power sort or genre; also something upbeat and mood lifting helps!
    Shopping is a great way to entertain yourself, but I suggest going with friends since going alone will make you wanna buy things and look at things that remind you of him.
    Make yourself feel beautiful and sexy again! Get that feeling back (like when you first started dating, how it felt to be "desired"/*whichever synonym fits*)

Step away from the chick flicks/ romance movies! Don't listen to break up songs! Don't stalk him on Facebook! DON'T re-read your messages/texts/whatsapps/messenger etc!! And don't buy anything for his sake (for example: Oh, he'd love for me to wear this/ this shoes make me the same height as him etc)

Put down the pot of Ice Cream and throw away the chocolate!

In time, by doing things that you love, your mind and heart kind of moves away from that feeling. You have to love the moments that made you happy, but understand that even if you go back, its never going to feel the same: its over, all that awaits you are good happy experiences, exciting relationships and better passion than before!

• Have a girls night out. No one can make you feel better then you're girls. Also he's a lesson learned ex-boyfriends become exs for a reason. You will find someone much better.

• I wouldn't try to find someone else so quickly. I would use this time to focus on yourself. My ex was my first boyfriend it took me a while to get over him since we go to the same high school, it was hard but it got easier. I just acted like he didn't exist, because he treated me like dirt and he led me on. You will feel broken and used for some time but just let time take its course and you will be okay. I felt broken, and I felt like I couldn't walk for days, every time I saw his face I just wanted to fall back but I had to stand tall and show him I strong I was. Cut off all contact with him, deleted/blocked his number, moved on with my life and focused on myself. It took me a while to realize that I deserved better. He and I have not spoken for at least a year and two months. It was my first break up but I've healed already and moved on. It is hard but if you let time takes it course it'll work out. Now that I have moved on my ex is slowly trying to come back into my life, and I don't want anything to do with him.