If two people want to divorce, is it anyone else's business to try to stop them?

I'm not the one in question

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• Nobody else's business.

Two people involved would know far better how they feel, than relatives and other outsiders. Anyone but the couple have no businesses trying to interfere as they are not the ones IN the relationship, they're not the ones to deal with whatever bullshit that's within it, so their input is biased.
    Trying to stop unhappy people from leaving an unhappy marriage is beyond retarded.

It actually makes me extremely angry that one of my friend's family guilt tripped her into staying with an abusive raping husband, because "divorce is wrong" and their religious convictions.

0|0
    0|0

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 9

• The logic behind no-fault divorce rises out of the fact that before it's wide adoption, it was common for divorcing couples to fabricate fault acceptable to the court. This most often took the form of "irreconcilable differences". This process necessitated a civil court trial. No-fault divorce achieves a similar result without the cost of a civil trial. Additionally, at-fault divorce with fabricated testimony has the effect of diminishing respect for the court and the law. If people were willing to perjure themselves just to be rid of a spouse, it makes sense that divorce not be so onerous a process.

0|0
    0|0
  • nobody else's business... it's their OWN issue

0|0
    0|0
  • Are there kids?

0|0
    0|0
    • No, no kids, but they've been married a long time.

• Staying because of kids is one of the worst things you can do and put your kids through.

• @Kris85 wasn't trying to automatically suggest they should. But the question was 'why would anyone try'. Staying around hating each other is also different from staying around cohabitating which is different from genuinely trying to work through things partly because you have kids.

• Perhaps their witnesses.

0|0
    0|0
  • Ain't nobody got time for dat 😒

0|0
    0|0
  • The people around should make sure they ar

0|0
    0|0
  • No ones business but there's.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its nobody's business, but he can try to get them meet again.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on the culture. In western culture we place personal freedom over commitment meaning marriage has no real meaning. In places that see marriage as a legally binding commitment, then yes it is other peoples business to try and stop divorce. I don't think either culture is right or wrong. It is really just a matter of perspective.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 11

• It should be Nobodies' business at all regardless of culture or religion. In western countries... no one intervenes but some middle eastern and Asian countries, they do.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think so... not unless they ask for anyone else's opinion

0|0
    0|0
  • If they have kids I think so.

0|0
    0|0
  • Unless it's their children. They should have some kind of input no matter how young.
    But other than that, no. It's something that's between them.

0|0
    0|0
  • No one else's business whatsoever

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Sometimes when a couple wants a devorce it's because they have been through a lot. So they are blinded by their emotions and they decide to give up.
    The other people could help them realize they are perfect for eachother.

0|0
    0|0
  • Why would it be someone's business? You never get involved in people's relationships

0|0
    0|0
  • it quite honestly depends on many factors

0|0
    0|0
  • From being in this position I think friends and family don't try to always push the the couple in one direction but just ensure the people in that couple are making the right decision and not a rash decision based on angry emotions.

0|0
    0|0
  • No one knows what goes on "behind closed doors". Unless one asks for advice, others should bite their tongues.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, it's their own issue.

0|0
    0|0