Is it possible to be in love with someone after a short time?

Is it possible to fall in love with someone with in days? If so how or why and if not, how come? I think I'm suffering from a broken heart. ... I really liked this one guy but it didn't end the way I wanted it to. For some reason it's taking me a while to get over him. I don't know why. Everytime I think about him I get emotional. When I first met him I felt like I found my other half. I thought we were so similar. But then he told me that he didn't have space for me in his life right now. He told me that I'm a really great person and he enjoyed the time that we spent together but there was no space in his life for me right now. I felt really heartbroken. I thought I would get over it quickly but I didn't. I'm still a bit hurt by it honestly. I thought that maybe i loved him or something. But I often hear that you can't love a person in a short period of time. So I often doubt that as the explination. Can you love someone in a short period of time?

44

Most Helpful Guy

• No. Not love. It can feel like love, yes, but it is a different emotion. It is caused by NRE, new relationship energy. Or, more correctly, by the chemicals released during NRE. This can happen fast, it can happen 'at first glance', where your brain is just flooded with chemicals (dopamine, norepinephidrine, phenylethylamine, serotonin). You are essentially getting high, you are being flooded with amphetamines, stimulants and painkillers at the same time.

This is why it can hurt so badly, so quickly. It can be as bad as going through hard drug withdrawal. NRE is an important step in developing the bonds over time that is needed for love to grow, but it is not love in and of itself. It can sure feel like it at the time though, and it can have an almost obsessive feel to it that makes it hard to shake.

What you are experiencing is essentially a chemical withdrawal in your brain.

• How long does it take to stop?

• I would have to agree with BearsAnswers. I would not say the feeling is love because to truly love someone it takes time to REALLY get to know the true person, build the bond and trust with them.
      I like the term used by BearsAnswers of NRE and it is a good way to explain what you are feeling. You will be fine just keep your head high.

• Unfortunately it can sometimes take quite a while to stop. Part of this, though, is that a lot of your natural inclinations will actually contribute to dragging it on longer. You really need to think of it as drug withdrawal, because to your brain, that is what is actually happening.

So the more you think about the person, the harder it will be to get over it, because that will cause a hit of chemicals to the brain. And the idea of 'trying to hold out hope that he will come around and things will work out' is the killer one. That one really drags the feeling out. People that do that, that hold out hope like that, can end up having these feelings drag on for years. Like, actually years. Which is not healthy. You'll want to try and move on quickly, to avoid building up emotional baggage. And that means accepting it wasn't meant to be and letting go. Even if it hurts to let go, it's what you need to do so that your brain can start recovering.

What Guys Said 3

• Yes, if someone has powerful enough feelings for you, you can fall for them instantly. It's the stuff of legends, but it really does happen!

• yup... techncally it is... since "love at 1st sight" exist... 8)

• It can happen.

What Girls Said 4

• You can fall for some in any amount of time. Love is that powerful. It can feel very much real to you even if you haven't been with the person for a long time. I know what it's like. I fall in love very rarely but when I do it's almost instantly and something I can't get over for a long time when it doesn't work out.

• Yeah, you probably hung out with this guy a lot so you grew fond of him. I'm sorry that you have to go through this, the best thing to do is to slowly move on

• Yea I'm trying to. We go to the same school. I often pray that I don't see him. I don't know how I would react.

• Luckily I have not seen him yet. I hope it stays that way.

• Hopefully you stay strong :)

• I would say yes but you will fall in love with their good side... you don't know them well enough to fall in love with who they really are.

• Definitely, it happens a lot 😐