How long does it take to get over a breakup?

The relationship was 19 months long, it's been 3 months since she left me. Will this sinking feeling ever go away?

53

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd say it depends.
    Not just on how attached you were etc. like the others said. But it also depends on what you do about it.
    Breakups are really really hard sometimes, but if you stay at home mulling over how sad you are, you'll never get over it.
    It will take some time for you to heal, and that's alright. But there are things you can do to speed the recovery. Go out and try to have fun, trying new things always makes you feel good about yourself, get new hobbies, exercise... in short, rebuild your life.

If you are doing that, then you should feel better very soon. :)

What Girls Said 4

• Depends on the person, what the relationship was like and how it ended.

• Depends on the person and how attached they were to their ex

• I was gonna ask her to marry me... But everything just fell appart over stupid shit that could have been talked out.

• I'm sorry to hear that :(

• Of course it will. But it also depends on you. You either sit on your ass and dwell on it, OR you can start having a social life and that's when you'll think back on the days when you have a damn about this breakup:)

• When it comes to the length of appropriate mourning time, many people have a mythical formula. Some think recovery time it's half as long as the relationship, some people think it's about a month.

What Guys Said 3

• some general advice:
    1) get a cat
    2) don't masturbate for a few weeks
    3) get out of the house (gym, movies...)
    4) video games and such

basically, you need companionship of some sort. People in relationships tend to become friends with other people in relationships. When you break up, all of those friends tend to become more distant. Basically, you are resetting your entire social life. So, reset it.

• Depends on the instensity of your feelings about last relationship - I was 2 years getting over last break up.

• It was intense, that's not good news. Thanks though.

• Yes, my lad. It will, everybody can forgive. Remember, nothing is permanent in this world, even problems. :)

Focus on other things, like being with friends, doing your favorite things, don't let yourself down. Right now you have the choice to become strong, because you can and you will. I know it hurts, a lot, but its something that will not last forever. Make your heart screams of bravery so your depression can get scared and flee away. :3