How much does this factor into prolonging an ending relationship?

Would you drag out the end of a relationship because you hate the thought of them being with someone else? Is it wrong to hate the idea? It's inevitable to avoid.. not in a "if I can't have him nobody can" way more like "I hate the thought of 'not me' in his arms at night"... Just wondering if others feel that way sometimes..

54

Most Helpful Girl

• I felt the same way when my relationship was ending. I still feel that way and we broke up a couple weeks ago. I hate the thought of him doing everything we did with someone else 😔

What Guys Said 4

• If you use the words "drag out the end" it's not off to a great start. Do you hate not being in HIS arms or someone's arms? It's understand able to be afraid to be alone. But if you are talking about ending it he must not be doing something right for you and you need someone who can respect and appreciate for who you are. I don't think you can make the relationship work unless he is willing to work on it too. But there are a few red flags in what you said and you might need to break free of it. It won't be easy for you but you can be a strong woman and work through it. Find some friends around you who will support you through this hard time.

• It's a normal feeling.
    Even though I couldn't stand my ex-wife. The thought of someone else with her stung bad. That faded quickly for me though.

• I guess it might bother some people the though of an ex or there current partner being with someone else. but if the relationship isn't working out there isn't much point in continuing with it

• I'm in a great relationship going strong.. Perhaps that's why I get so sad thinking of it not being me with him.. I was just curious. Your answer makes total sence.

• I dragged out the end of a relationship - Worst thing I ever did.

What Girls Said 4

• Nope. Once I've decided things are on the outs that's it. If I know it's not going to work between us I want him to go on and be happy. With or without me :)

• This happens all the time. But its not ideal to drag out the relationship of its not healthy for the both of you anymore. It's more a comfort thing (it sucks I know) and sometimes you have to suck it up face your fear and let it go!

• If you're thinking that, why do you want to break up with him? That's a pretty powerful and intimate thought to be having about someone...

• Oh I'm not, I was just imagining if I could ever let my guy go and I thought I'd ask this question hypothetically. Perhaps since I'm in a great relationship that's why I feel like I couldn't bare for him to move on.

• Ah okay gotcha. Yes, I believe that you couldn't bear to let him go because of how you're actually feeling. I think that people who are ready for the relationship to end don't really have the feeling of not wanting the person they're going to end it with to be with another person. There might be the feeling they are sad that the relationship isn't working, because there are a lot of things they really value about the person and hate to hurt them but I don't believe it's usually because of the reason you asked about.

• Yes, i think when you know the relationship is over it can be so hard to let go. Knowing someone else will feel his touch and be held the way he held you is such a painful thought. Deep down you know it is best to just end it, but your heart just won't except it , because you can't bare the thought of some other girl having what you really want so much. Holding on is more painful than letting go