how do you get over an ex?

I developed major interest and attraction for this guy that I became friends with a few months ago through school. We have kept in touch messaging for about four months now. When we first started talking, he let me know he was unavailable but I knew he no longer had a girlfriend. Well he has been talking a little out of character these past couple days (kind of showing his softer side). Night before last he asked me if I was happy (about life, just in general). Said he was "just wondering". I didn't know what to make of it. Then last night I messaged him and told him I didn't know what he was getting at but would be willing to talk.
He replied telling me that he is still in love with his ex and she doesn't want anything to do with him. He says "it's horrible." That was his longest relationship ever lasting only a year and a half. I told him what an amazing guy he is and tried to keep him on a positive note while still trying to be a genuinely supportive friend. The fact that he's sad about anything kills me.
What can I do to help him or the situation? What advice can I offer him? How do guys get over girls?

11

What Guys Said 1

• if i was u... i'd just try to find some other gal for him... so he can get over me :-)

What Girls Said 1

• Take him camping. Being out in nature, looking up at the stars, sitting around a campfire; just being out in nature and faced with the enormity and beauty of nature will give him a new and much-needed perspective.