I recently broke up with my boyfriend because he hasn't introduced me to his family. Did I make the right decision?

My boyfriend and I have been together for about 2 years and was also in a somewhat long distance relationship (I live in San Diego, he in LA). When I confronted him about my issue with not meeting his family or friends, he explained that he is doing so because he wanted to be sure we're right for each other first before he introduces me to his family. He "promised" it was going to happen this year, but is waiting for the right moment, like a family gathering so that I can meet his whole family at once and asks that I be patient.

Another reason of his as to why I haven't been introduced yet is because when I met one of his cousin, who he claims is closer to him than his parents, she threw a fit when he told her we were dating because she thought I was flirting with her boyfriend. But I was just being friendly... He explained that he didn't want any drama between his family and I at the moment.

As far as his friends, they do know that I am his girlfriend but I have only seen them once. When he and his friends went to a Vegas trip he asked me to come, but I declined. I also asked him to come move in with me, but he gave me the same explanation; that he wants to make sure things are perfect before taking that next step.

With that said, when we're together, I feel like we're perfect for each other. In fact, the only times we have fought and argued is when we are away from each other.

I really, really wanted to work things out with him and I love him a lot. The way I am with him, I am never the same way with ANYONE else. And I love being that way. He knows my true colors. I have noticed him making slight changes, but I just can't put behind me that it took him 2 years to finally start bringing me into his life.

33

Most Helpful Guy

• A wise man named Herb Rubenfield once told me, “Son, when you marry a girl, you marry her family.” I never forgot that. One point you haven’t addressed is that you will need to blend in with his folks. Since you have not met them, this could be problematic. It is especially concerning that his favorite cousin made drama with you on an initial meeting. Not a good sign.

He may be putting off introducing you because he is concerned about the impression they will make on YOU. They sound a little off kilter.

~James Smith

What Guys Said 2

• f you think it is then you go. But personally I would not break up with someone just because I've been wanting to meet they're parents even if they reject it for ages because they could just feel it would be embarrassing or something or they don't like their parents

• Two years? Yeah, something isn't right.

What Girls Said 3

• TWO years and he hasn't introduced you to anyone? That's crazy. I don't blame you for ditching. I would be asking these questions after a year max. Give him a due date and if he doesn't meet it, move on.

• You made that decision. Stick wwith it.

• Girl, I been with my boyfriend for three years and have yet to be introduced to his family as his girlfriend. Be patient , it will happen. I was hesitant with bringing him around my family because I wasn't sure we would work , it takes longer for others... No reason to break up with him for that... You have to think, maybe there is a reason for it, maybe he introduced another girl to them and then they broke up, give it time.