We have the right to leave whenever, but is it morally wrong to dump someone of 5 years just to explore out of confusions?

Say someone commits to u for 5 years but because ur confused and curious u leave them at the cost of their broken heart and emotional issues? I know it'd not illegal but I've recently cme to realize it may be morally wrong.

75

Most Helpful Girl

• It is wrong, in a sense that you have technically wasted 5 precious years of someone's life, but I believe that regardless of how someone else feels for you, you shouldn't stay with them if you don't feel the same way. This is a risk for you though because you may never find anyone like that again, and you may not be able to return to them. My best friend went through a somewhat similar situation. His boyfriend is 30 and he just turned 20. His boyfriend (lets call him Joe and my best friend rick) just started dating men after having only 1 girlfriend prior. Rick just got out of a terrible relationship of 5 months (his longest before joe). they both committed to eachother rather quickly (like marriage plans on the 4th date). after about 6 months joe thought there might be someone else out there for him, but he also really loves rick, they ended up staying together but after a few more months rick started to feel the same way (he is barely 20 and already settling down!), but again they decided to stay together. I don't see how that was beneficial to either of them. honestly you only live once and why would you want to spend it with someone while the whole time thinking there might be something better. If you were my boyfriend I would want you to go resolve these feelings even if it hurt me (obviously I would want to be with someone whose feelings for me are sure fire.) i dont know if any of this makes sense, but I'm just trying to help you see your situation from different sides.

• Yah I let her go of 4 years. Didn't knwo this before... thr thing is, all feelings subside

What Girls Said 6

• Well, it's not a particularly nice thing to do. If you're confused about whether or not you want to stay in the relationship though, it's better to communicate that to your partner and ask for some space or to break it off than to end up cheating.

• Of course it's morally wrong. But it happens.

• U know, I didn't know this and left someone of 4 years. She was devastated but she's better off than me now married... but she still won't acknowledge me when bumping into me... it's been 8 years. All feelings subside... my pastor advised I find someone who knows how to love since most people are driven by feelings and they always subside no matter how hot or rich they are. It'd suck to be treated according to an unstable females feelings lol. Pms every month... just crazy unstable feelings everyweek and I'd be in the receiving end

• Don't do it!!! Please what ever is the reason you want to do this just don't. If your having problems try and work them out.

• oh i left her like 8 years ago. i didn't know back then.

i faced a lot of karma since then.

• morally maybe wrong, but if aren't sure then you aren't sure..

• I think it is morally wrong to stay in a relationship if you aren't fully committed to it. There is always reasons your mind strays and can do so 5 years or more in - at this point you should work out why and if it can be resolved then you fix it and carry on or if it can't you get out of it before you cheat

• But is the problem intentionally not committing or inability to do so? I often observe people who weren't loved growing up struggle.

• I dont think people intentionally dont commit. I think they either feel safe and loved in a relationship that meets their needs... or they dont feel safe (trusting), loved, or satisfied. Some people are emotionally broken and may need councilling to help reflect on their past and heal before they can trust.

• It is morally wrong

• I did this not knowing when ibwas in my 20s. My ex is married and still wouldn't acknowledge me. We bumped into each other

What Guys Said 5

• Breaking up with someone isn't wrong, depending on your reasons. Breaking up with someone who you dated for so long just because you're "confused" and "want to explore" is both fucked up and stupid.

Something doesn't have to be legal or illegal for it to be wrong, only those who have no morals of their own let the law set morals for them.

• 5 years... no man... in that case u should take it more carefully.. ;)

• Cmon.. be a man you are 31 years old you have a comitted woman that loves you. Going tk through that away?

• lol, i left the girl that influenced me to raise this question 8 years ago, when i was in my early 20s. i really didn't know. just was young and wanted to date more people. kept feeling what if... or can i/i can do better.

• Yeah it's pretty bad

• that isn't immoral but it is not nice