Children of divorce?

Do the products of broken homes stand a lesser chance of being half of a successful relationships?

The divorce rate is around 60%, and then you divide the remaining 40% into relationships you would want to emulate, and those you would not...

How does one emulate a good relationship, having hardly even *witnessed* one?


0|0
12

Most Helpful Guy

  • You work at it. People have a fight and then they want a divorce immediately. They don't even separate for awhile to figure things out or try to compromise they just go straight to divorce as if it's just a undo button on their life which it isn't. I think divorces are so prevalent because I people don't fully understand what it means to get divorced. I think it's a maturity thing as well. Some people just are not able to handle lifelong commitments and that type of maturity won't come to them with age they simply just don't have it and they never will.

    0|0
    0|0
    • I agree with one thing you said in particular... Any time I ask a girl for some space or a break or whatever, she assumes that's it, that we're breaking up... Or just plain gets livid... which only ever makes things worse..

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 1

  • i disagree. a child can either be affected by a divorce or use it to insist that they will not have a life like that and build up what was torn down.

    0|0
    0|0
    • I guess the key piece of the question is: how do you become part of a happy, healthy relationshoip if you've never even *seen* one?

    • oh i understand now. well, remember that while a key relationship in the home is broken, there are still many others undoubtedly going well around that person. it could either depress them or make them want to have a life like that. i think it's those people whose love can inspire someone who hasn't experienced much. u know what i mean?

    • I think I get you... 😊

What Guys Said 1

  • I found one of many articles out there on this, here is a key paragrapgh:

    It's no secret that children of divorced parents are more likely to get divorced, says Christina Steinorth, California-based psychotherapist and author of "Cue Cards For Life: Thoughtful Tips for Better Relationships." Studies indicate that daughters of divorced parents have a 60-percent higher divorce rate in marriages than children of non-divorced parents, and sons have a 35-percent higher divorce rate, says Steinorth. "Part of the reason is that when parents are divorced," she says, "it seems to send a message in a non-direct way that divorce is acceptable."

    mom.me/.../

    So, don't marry a woman with divorced parents seems to be a lesson here.

    0|0
    0|0
    • Well shit 😄 *I'm* the child of divorce

Loading... ;