Has anyone here tried therapy?

I had some really hard things happen to me all at once and it's been 4 months of me toughing it now and things aren't getting better. I'm making my family miserable and everyone around me. I really don't want to get diagnosed with anything and start taking pills. I just need to talk to someone to figure things out. The thing is I have a government job.. if they find out I'm doing this I won't havs the career i want anymore. Mental illness doesn't work with law enforcement. if I were to do this outside ofinsurance will this stay all confidential?

41

Most Helpful Girl

• It sounds like all you need is someone to talk to. I highly doubt you have to worry about having a mental illness. It just sounds you have been down on your luck and it's just been one thing after another and it is just taking it toll on you. We all go through a period of hardship and sometimes just talking to someone you trust is great help. Message me if you want to talk I can try and help.

What Girls Said 3

• A therapist is just someone who you can Talk to
    He won't give you any medication or try to find an mental illness you dont have. Only real doctors can do it. And mine once Said " if you are questionning your sanity, There is Nothing wrong with your mental Health"
    People with mental illnesses dont think they have them.
    Dont worry
    You can see a therapist and talk, it is helpul

• It's confidential if you put it on insurance, and needing therapy doesn't mean you have a mental illness that would hinder your job performance.

• On law enforcment hiring process nothing is confidential. They will know.

• yeh, it didn't work for me but that doesn't mean it won't work for you. if you feel you can get help do it cause you may regret if you don't and you feel you're getting worse you may feel unable to get help

• Do they try and diagnosed you with something quickly?

• thats a doctors job, a therapist or a counsellor will talk to you about your feelings

What Guys Said 1

• This is not true when it comes to law enforcement. Most law enforcement agencies have something called EAP which stands for Employee Assistance Program. It provides free counseling both individual and family anonymously. You should have had some training about it through your department already. If not call your HR director and ask if they have something called EAP. The agency does not get filled in about anything and they actually encourage people to make sure of the program.