When a male friend goes through a break up am I supposed to be there for him like my girls or keep a distance?

Want to be a good friend without stepping over boundaries. I've never been around when a guy friend was going through one except once but he pushed me away and I secretly liked him but that's besides the point.

Friends are supposed to be hanging out more often to support a friend going through a tough time but I usually keep those recently broken up friends at a distance because I don't wanna see them all sad. I've never been in a relationship so I didn't understand what it was like go through that. Now I somewhat do and I feel bad for being oblivious so now I want to be different.

• Keep a distance so he can heal on his own
  • Be there for a friend

44

Most Helpful Guy

• For the most part, leave him alone. If he needs you, he will seek you out.

On the other hand if you see him, getting destructive, by all means intervenes.

As a female, you are in a tricky situation and you could get your feelings hurt badly. How men deal with a broken heart, and how women deal with one are usually very different.

A rule of thumb, don't try to make him talk about his emotions. It is not our thing.

Most Helpful Girl

• Words are Not needed, a shoulder to lean on, to cry on, is All that is really needed instead and... an ear here, dear, to have extended for him to share his thoughts and feelings with when crying the blues to you... just as any friend, girl or boy. With you just Being there to care, shows you are a true blue friend till the end.
    And need I say more that if something ever happens where the shoe would be on the other foot, you just Might want someone to be there for you.
    Good luck. xx

• True I wouldn't want my friend to leave me if I needed a shoulder to cry on

• Thank you, sweetie, for allowing me to lend my own helping hand... he is lucky to have someone like you and... especially at a time in need indeed.:)) xxoo

What Guys Said 3

• Depends some people need other to cry to others can't really get over it if they don't have their alone time (I'm the latter).

• I would keep your distance, or you might just end up having sex, thereby complicating things even worse.

• Ya it looks like things could turn physical and I don't want that to happen

• I think in reality, it's whoever happens to be there at the moment.

• Well that sounds kind of messed up. It's not like he scouted me out so I can't blame him ugh I was thinking of hooking him up with my friend instead but she wants a relationship before sex

• I think the best approach is to let him know you're there for him if he needs a listening ear, then just hang back and wait for him to come to you when he's ready.

What Girls Said 3

• Be there for him in you're not interested because you can be his rock.
    Keep a distance or you'll be rebound

• Treat him normal as usual

• Keep a distance but don't treat him like he's hurt basically act like things are normal