Should I dump my boyfriend?

I've been dating a guy for the past eight months. It started out great, we had a lot in common and he was the first real relationship I've had, but I've noticed over the past couple of months a lot of troubling things and I'm not sure I feel the same about him anymore. He's very lazy and unmotivated, he's been out of college for several years but has no job and although he's working on getting what he needs together to apply for jobs the progress seems agonizingly slow. His house is such a mess I'm not allowed past two rooms in the house and can't even go into the kitchen, so it's hard for me to get food or anything when I'm there. He hates working on his job application stuff and always complains about it, but it's what he went to college for and supposedly wants to do for the rest of his life. I'm very ambitious and motivated, I always push myself and I want to go to med school and work all over the world, and I'm not sure I want to stay with someone who seems so unmotivated and miserable. Although he's never directly nasty to me, he has a very negative attitude towards the world in general and it gets very wearing and irritating very quickly. I'm not quite sure what to do, because despite these flaws we do have a lot in common and I still care for him, and I'm fairly sure I'm the only healthy relationship he's had in years, so I'm a little scared of how he'll react if I try to break up with him. What should I do?

14

Most Helpful Guy

• You're two different people. He's only going to bring you down. You won't bring him up

Most Helpful Girl

• i think you should leave him.