Do breaks actuality work?

So, my boyfriend and I were together for a year. Recently though we have been arguing a lot more. We both had finals, graduation, and figuring out future jobs and if we were going to move. In the end we both ended up staying in the same city :) now that things have calmed down, I still find myself irritated with him. When we were fighting, he would constantly ignore my texts and calls and "break up" with me daily. Yesterday though he told me that he was done with me because he wanted to hook up with a bunch of girls back home (he is from a different state). He told me that he was breaking up with me because he didn't wanna feel guilty cheating on me. I didn't cry, beg, or bargain like usually do. Instead I told him that I understood. He told me that in a month we could try talking again and see how things are. I really do love him. We've always had fun together and he is one of my best friends. My question is will this break work or is it a waste of time? I understand we had a rough 2 months, but I'm not sure if it permanently ruined us.

35

Most Helpful Guy

• He wants a free pass so he can go bang some other chicks and not feel guilty about it. Do you really want to be intimate again with somebody who treats you with such little respect? Don't you have any self-respect? Whatever it is that you're calling love. . . it ain't!

A long term relationship requires love, trust, and respect. We don't need to argue about the "love" issue because you don't have respect and you're fixin' to lose whatever trust you may have. Think about when you're 28 years old and you look back on these events. If you let him pull this crap and then you take him back. . . will you be proud of yourself because you did that? Or are you going to think "how could I have been that stupid?"

What Guys Said 4

• No they usually don't work

• No they don't. Unless you can cope with the fact your partner just wants to screw around some... Usually people do it just to not have a big break up I think

• yeah guess u both need a short break! :)

• Usually, no. From personal experience, even if you guys are able to start talking again in a few months and start dating each other again, there will always be that conflict of wondering what happened during the break (or the break itself) that will take a toll on the relationship. Given his reasoning, it doesn't seem like it is worth it to put yourself through a break when it most likely won't work out in the end.

What Girls Said 3

• I don't personally agree with the concept of "taking breaks." Do I believe people can get back together? Yeah, sometimes. But in general, if you feel the need to take a break from a relationship, you're not really doing it to help the relationship at all. You're doing it because you want to indulge in your own selfish desires but don't want to lose the benefits of the relationship. It doesn't make your boyfriend a bad person nor does it mean he doesn't care about you, but if the relationship ever gets to a point where both parties feel it needs to END, even if it's temporary... typically means it isn't going to work out. Going off and banging other girls isn't something you do when you want a relationship to work. Just leaving and coming back won't fix what the real issues were, so in all honesty, I don't see this working out.

Good luck nonetheless.

• the whole "taking a break" thing is bs in my opinion. If you are mature enough to be in a serious relationship then you are mature enough to talk to each other about your problems and work things out together as a couple.
    hope this helps

• No. Breaks don't work. It's either on, or done.