America's Billion Dollar Divorce Industry - Thoughts?

So I'm subscribed to VICE on youtube, and they just put out this very interesting 22 minute video on divorce in America, and I must say, many of you will be surprised to see how much goes on these days where divorce is concerned. You've got this new but developing trend of "divorce parties" (and with it, divorce party planners), divorce hotels, post divorce make-overs, and divorce lawyers living like 50 cent. It's crazy to me just how popular divorce is becoming in America, but this video shows you a bit of what's going on behind the scenes that you may not be aware of. Anyhow, watch the video (or not... makes no difference to me), and share your thoughts on the rate of divorce in america and its development into what is now a billion dolalr industry. Cheers

P. S. I've added a poll to the question. Tell me if you have ever experienced a divorce first hand, and maybe describe in the comments what it was like for you

• Yes, I've directly experienced/been through a divorce
  • No, I've never directly experienced/been through a divorce

38

Most Helpful Girl

• I haven't been directly affected by divorce. It's a little sad to me how jaded people are becoming about marriage. Even if I go through a divorce the effort of the marriage will have been well worth it. I wouldn't regret the commitment I made. It's funny to me that people think that by taking the commitment of marriage out of the picture they think they can shield themselves from heartache. TThat's true naivety. I think that as the practice of marriage declines so our culture will follow. You can already see the results of this in many areas of the United States.

• "It's funny to me that people think that by taking the commitment of marriage out of the picture they think they can shield themselves from heartache. TThat's true naivety." Well said indeed!

• Thanks for mh my darling! I hope that whatever you decide, it makes you happy 😙

What Girls Said 2

• I wasn't aware of the parties, that is pretty stupid. I don't care what people do though. My parents got divorced, that's the only experience I have.

• was it a positive or negative experience for you? The parties seem pretty ridiculous yea, but i guess its a sign of the time =/

• ahh i see. Definitely not a good situation to be in!

• Yeah definitely not!

• Yes i have!

What Guys Said 8

• I never have personally, nor do I know anyone who has. Although I do live in New Jersey which has one of the lowest divorce rates in the country.

Is there any citation to the "evidence" used in this film? Especially the claim that 50% of FIRST marriages end in divorce? I am aware the US census puts the divorce rates for 2009 at 9.2 per 1,000 men and 9.7 per 1,000 women, which is about half the marriage rate (19.1 for men and 17.6 for women) but that stat does not include information on "first marriages" it only includes number of people who got married and divorced in a given year (2008-2009).

www.census.gov/.../marriages_and_divorces.html

"More money passes through family law courts than all other courts combine." That is nothing more than a desperate call to reform family law courts.

As far as the lawyer himself, he like many, sound bitter because they went through a divorce or were close to someone who did. Don't get me wrong I get why they are bitter. Breakups are hard enough, dragging a breakup through the legal system must be traumatic.

I think that if we really want to fix marriage we need to fix divorce. That is the biggest reason I hear people saying they don't want to or are hesitant to get married.

As for the parties, they sound really stupid. Just party planners trying to get rich people to spend more money. Just like the hotels. Must be nice to be rich and be able to blow tens of thousands of dollars on bullshit like that. I believe that much of this is targeted at obscenely wealthy upper East Side residents, and of course Hollywood celebs fighting over hundred thousand dollar "allowances" a year in divorce courts. She even says "If you are a millionaire you go to Dr. Undo Tattoo..."

"There is no end to how retail therapy can heal a breakup." This line made me laugh hysterically! I think it is just an extension of the consumer obsessed, spend money to make it all better, culture we have now...

• Honestly I was more shocked when I saw a late night commercial on TV that gave a place for people to cheat on their spouses discreetly. Contrary to popular belief, the divorce rates have been decreasing slightly in recent years in the US. Sociologists suspect that the huge incline in divorces initially was the transition of women to the workplace and being able to be self reliant and not dependent on their spouses. I had to write an essay on this for my sociology class it was pretty interesting.

Overall I'm not shocked that things like this exist.. Where there's money to be made there will be a market.

• It was one of the best moves I ever made. I got rid of a cheating lying using B-itch

• ah sorry to hear that. How long did it last before going sour?

• It really has gotten 100% better. I am with my awesome wife for 18 years now and I couldn't immagion life without her by my side

• nice :) thats good to hear

• Well what can I say when kids are taught to date everyone and get "experience". The only experience you get is breaking up and a divorce.

• that's an interesting way of looking at it

• It is just an extension of the glorification of "hookup culture" where you just get drunk and high and have horrible sex with people you don't know and that is somehow better than a real loving connected relationship. I can't believe so many people fall for it. Obviously you can't do all that and be married very well so... divorce.

• @genuinlysensitive

Yeah, its crazy... stupid... insane.

• not only in america bro... guess everywhere divorce's pop :)

• im aware. Just talking about america today though, as its divorce industry is one of the largest in the world, if not THE largest...

• It's horrible and it's sort of why I don't think I ever want to get married.

• Ahh, capitalism <3

• Don't get married.