Psychological Damage from Abusive Relationships?

How can one get over the trauma of one?

Also, if the abuser wants you back, how can you stay strong and keep them away and not feel some weird attachment to them due to the trauma?

He also will not stop emailing me. 40 emails in 6 months, saying sweet things, which makes it harder. I'd never go back, but he won't leave me alone.

45

Most Helpful Guy

• You have to find every way to keep that person out of your life. Block their number, turn any and all social media to private, hell if it's that bad get a restraining order. Removing them completely is really the only way to recover.

Getting over the abuse takes an insane amount of time and willpower. I've know women that have been there and the few that bounced back fully it took them a few years. The ones that didn't recover became neurotic messes with massive trust issues. Always remember what happened wasn't your fault and that you did not deserve any of it.

What Guys Said 4

• for how long u've beenwith this guy?

• Dont even think about getting back with that guy. Time will heal you

• DO NOT DWELL ON IT!!! yes its that simple cause if you dwell on it you'll find yourself comparing every guy/girl to your ex
    LET IT GO! people are assholes your gonna meet a bunch of these people before you find tha "one" so hold ya head up smile and send the hater (your ex) the middle finger cause if there the ex bitching and complaining then they know they fucked up and thats why they want you back!

• what did he do to you?

• Prostituted and paid women/men for sex, dealt drugs, alcoholic, drug addict, extreme anger issues.

• and what were you doing with him in the first place... ?

• he hid it for a long time.. really damn well

What Girls Said 4

• You need to see a therapist! I hope that you can heal soon <3

• You need therapy in a professional setting. Won't cure things overnight, but will help you see how you cling to a person who is abusive and how to steer clear of that in the future. Also, check out some self-help books... co-dependency ones. At least in the short term.

• Try to surround yourself with a support system. Get a restraining order if you need to. Please, don't go back, it doesn't get better. He will promise you the world, swear he's changed. They all say that. Focus on taking care of you, do things that bring you peace and make you happy.

• Focus on the reason that's keeping you away from him. I've been in the same situation and I wanted to go back to him even though I knew how wrong it was. I assume that you weren't happy in that relationship, how can one be happy with an abusive relationship? Focus on that, your happiness. If your best friend was in this situation would you want her to go back? Do you think your family would be happy to see you with a guy like this and would you like him to be the father of your children? Hopefully not. Focus on a brighter future with a guy who will treat you right. When you have moved on you will understand it's like being a free again. Time will heal and you might need some counselling after something likes this because it does a lot of damage.