How to act after this break up - I would like to keep the possibility for getting back together open?

My boyfriend of 1 year and I recently split up. I have had multiple relationships but this one was different - I often thought that he was the man I would marry and he saw me as the woman he would marry. But recently, we started having arguments often (often triggered by small incompatibilities between us) - I was usually the one to start the arguments as I got quite anxious over losing him and become a bit paranoid. He then broke up with me and this was dramatic - both of us cried and I asked for 3 days for him to change his mind but he was dead set that this is what has to happen.
Now, I still love him and I do hope we one day get back together. I just don't know how to best act to make that happen. Begging will not help at this point, I believe. He's told me he would like some space and so I have given it to him and backed off but now I fear that me backing off completely (we go to the same university and are in the same class and friends group - I say hi when we make eye contact but nothing more) will lead to him forgetting about me or at least the good times we had - he'll find a new life and loose any incentive to ever want to be with me again and I'll be nothing more than an ex. When I do speak to him directly, he seems a little uncomfortable (I was the dumpee, but am trying to put on a brave face 24/7 - he, meanwhile, acts completely different around me) and rarely answers with more than one word or makes meaningful conversation. I've stopped hanging out in groups where he is in to give him this space and also because he seems uncomfortable. I just really don't know what to do and for how long.

22

Most Helpful Girl

• you should ignore him.

What Guys Said 2

• if he acts uncomfortable... maybe it hints he has regretted of his actions... no?

• If he is uncomfortable with u around it doesn't sound good

What Girls Said 1

• dating for a year is a long time i doubt he will just forget about you. i would just keep talking to him or putting yourself in situations where you guys see each other. however if you guys kept getting into arguments i would give it some space to cool and recollect.