What are you do's and don'ts to breaking up?

Do you have something you follow or just wing it? if you haven't been in a relationship what would they be?

713

Most Helpful Girl

• Do actually break up
    Don't ignore the person and push them away so that they can break up with you
    Do be honest
    Don't lie about why you are breaking up
    Don't just point the finger
    Do explain why you feel it's not worth fixing
    Do break up over text if you feel that is the most safe option
    Don't invite someone over to break up and send them off emotional because anything can happen
    Do go over to their place to break up that way if their mad they can break their own shit and not yours lol
    Do call them over the phone if it's too much of a challenge to do it in person
    Don't get your friend, relative, or a break up service to dump someone for you
    Don't pretend that you died or lost your memory
    Don't take a break when you know you really want to be free, let that person go completely or it will come back to bite you in the ass.

What Guys Said 13

• I have no fixations to almost anything I do especially in relationships. What destroys a relationship is the fixations of 'dos & don'ts'. Fixations turn into expectations thus destroying the other person's individuality. Accept them as they are or don't. That is my one & only rule :)

• interesting

• Generally speaking, there should be some sort of expectations to have in a relationship. I. E. respect, trust, etc. But that's just how I operate. It's interesting to see a different perspective.

• Thank you @bleeeep :) believe me this thought & attitude keeps the relationship stable if going both ways and in my case since I'm the only one who thinks this way it keeps me sane lol

• break things off fast, dont let it linger
    and cut off contact with them for at least a month

• I have only broken up with someone once, and that was only because she cheated on me and I caught her. Try and make it as clean as possible. Say that you are sorry, but you want to move on.

• Do NOT consider long distance.
    Do NOT victimize yourself.
    Stay true to your decision, youmay not like oneanother, but certain traits deserve respect. Meaning: don't call one week later in hopes of...

Last but not least
    Do NOT deceive them into meeting up for a friendly coffee only to end up begging, tnrowing fits, even guilt tripping in hopes of...

• Do - break up while being respectful.
    Don't - not break up at all.

One time I had a girlfriend that every time I tried to break up with her, she got so emotional and cried so much that I couldn't do it. Difficult times.

• i wouldn't bother her... this

• Don't sleep on an argument or resentful feeling. At least agree to disagree,

• For the most part I've always winged it according to how the break up/relationship had gone. But as a general rule I usually keep my distance and minimize contact to none if at all possible. But there are some exes that I'm cool with

• so did you do It in person or over the phone. .

• In person is always best. If you're gonna break up with someone, show a little respect in breaking it off. Just takes a little bit more gumption.

• Just be honest... Don't sugar coat it... Be legit or quit... No guy wants to be strung along...

• In person, not over the phone or texting

• Communication. And don't just kick him or her to the curb as if they're a piece of garbage.

• Public place with witnesses, so she can't accuse me of hitting her.

Calm neutral tone, no matter how she reacts.

All weapons remain at home.

Hitman waiting in the bushes :)

• Do: be honest and upfront.
    Don't: shoot them.

What Girls Said 6

• not really.
    my main focus is just to be as nice as i can about it. i know that i would feel shattered to be on the receiving end of something like that, so i always keep in mind how id want to be told something wasn't working out.

• thoughtcatalog.com/.../

Kinda...

I don't know about the block thing - sounds a bit childish. But then again, having facebook also sounds childish. xD

• Don'ts: Being way too nice, give a second chance, talking with them after the break up
    Do's: Move on quickly, block them on social media, try to avoid encountering them

• depends on the break up, try to be honest

• I only have don'ts lol
    -Talk shit about ex to his family or friends
    -move on too quickly

• Well, my don't is about begging. NEVER do that! Never beg him to get back together because you'll lose your dignity.