Does divorce usually screw the children up?

• Yes
  • No

1411

Most Helpful Girl

• My parents divorced when I was 4, since then I've never saw him again, I was pretty much fatherless. I wasn't that screwed up, but it did leave a great impact in my life. Like during father's days or wtv school's celebration/events, I really wished I had a father figure. Until now, I still wonder if my life would be better/happier if I had a dad, at least I wouldn't had to go through so much of sadness and pain. I really wish I had someone to play the role of a father figure in my life, I've pretty much envied those people who have it yet doesn't appreciate it. My relationship with my mum wasn't that good either, she's always busy with work and I have no siblings to talk to. I grew up to be someone who kept all their feelings and emotions to themselves, I have trust issues. So yes, I think that it can screw up the kids, but its better to be divorced rather than being together just for the child's sake. I wouldn't say that I'm completely screwed up either, I had a friend that was much more screwed up than me in a different aspect.

• father's day* ; celebrations*

What Girls Said 13

• Hmm, it can do that kind of a little bit I guess. My parents are divorced, they broke up when I was 3 and since then I've pretty much been fatherless. It didn't screw me up completely but I do sometimes wonder if I was happier if I had a functional family, I actually think my life would've been better, I think wouldn't had had so much sadness in my life. I do really wish I had a father figure in my life and I am kinda jealous people who have that. But I wouldn't say I'm totally screwed up. It screwed up my sister a little bit in a different way, daddy issues and all that.
    So, I guess it can screw up a kid, depends on the person, but it's not always like tragically bad. It also depends on what you define as ''screwed up''.

• People think that divorce is always a bad thing for children but I can personally say that it can be incredibly more damaging sometimes to grow up with parents who have a toxic/abusive relationship permanently. I WISH my parents got divorced. Yeah there I said it. It becomes very traumatizing to have to put up with parents who are constantly fighting and yelling. I'd much rather have parents who are happy and in loving relationships than together and miserable. It sucks. Take it from someone who has to put up with it since being a little girl.

• As a child of divorce, no. My parents fought horribly and I was the child listening on top of the stairs like at age 4-5. They weren't for each other and my dad remarried had two more kids and I never hear them fight and its been about 20 years. My mom is in love with singleness and her career. Don't stay with someone for the sake of the kids, you make everyone miserable. Just hope your parents can be civil during the divorce cause some can't and that isn't easy on the kids.

• Maybe... Like my parents never married but they were practically engaged. Living with my mom for 20 years and seeing my dad only like once a year after turning 3 kind of turnt me against him. Like I mean I never missed seeing him or anything, but I just dont care for him like he wants me too. If he and my mom got into an argument, I'm down for her 100%.

• That depends totally on the circumstances. To say divorcing screws a kid up period is a total blanket statement. When the parents' relationship is abusive or just involves a lot of arguing/conflict the children are usually a lot happier after the split. It also depends on the children in question though since they're individuals. My parents have been split up since I can remember and I've always been perfectly fine with it.

• My mom divorcing my dad didn't screw me up but her staying with a verbally and emotionally abusive asshole for 20 years sure did.

It's better to have no paternal/maternal figure in your life than a shitty one.

• My parents divorced when I was 18. I don't know if I would say it "screwed me up" but it did leave an impression

• As a child of a divorced family yes it does... It also depends on specific situations

• i think it depends how young the kids are.

• no doesn't "screw them up"

• I don't know. About 3/4 of y friends had divorced parents and they all were cool with it

• My parents are divorced and it's better. I wouldn't want them to be unhappy and together for my sake. They still get on and hang out even if I'm not round. Ofcourse others aren't as lucky but divorce for me and my family was the best thing

• No, they should be able to deal with it.

What Guys Said 11

• Always.
    That doesn't mean divorce should be out the window.
    Problem with divorce now is that it is initiated for moronic reasons.

"I don't feel fullfilled" - what?
    I'm sorry but that is NOT a reason.

It's not the kid's fault that you're an idiot.
    They need both parents. One parent is always struggling.

• i hope so... their torment give me power!!!

MUHAHAHAHA!!!

cdn2.business2community.com/.../...s-guardians.jpg

• I've ranted often about this. My parents have never been married but broke up when I was eleven, and never have I ever had problems based on that. Literally never. Children whose parents are divorced are often seen as if they need to be treated carefully and stuff but I hear more no than yes.

• Yes it usually messes them up in small ways even if the divorce went smoothly

• In a way yes

• surprisingly yes unless on of the parents was abusive then it would be better for the kids

• i've known some people that got pretty affected by it, like totally changed personality, started acting bad to people, turned into cold hearted and this kind of stuff, so yeah

• not really.

• sometimes.

• And every kid thinks it is their falt.

• Studies have shown that it is much better to have both parents than one. Dysfunctional families aside I would guess.