Is it okay to break up with someone on a phone call?

Pretty simple. Is it okay to break up with someone over a phone call?

• Yes
  • No
  • Other
    Vote C

97

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends. Generally I would say its in poor taste but there are a few exceptions. If you had not been seeing each other long (Less than a month or so) or if you think the person might get violent or not be able to control their emotional reaction.

What Guys Said 6

• I've been on the receiving end of that phone call, it was a text first then she probably thought she'd make the call so she wasn't being a total pussy. For me, if it's over it's over, I don't really care how you do it. But when I break up with someone I look them in the eye, just because it seems the proper thing to do.

• yeah that's okay i think its better cause would if you break up with them in person and they take it so badly they get physical with you?

• My first ex girlfriend broke up with me on the phone
    than she started harassing me afterwards,

• Hell to the No. That's something you absolutely should do in person.

• they deserve face to face

• Not really. You shouldn't be together with anyone you'd seriously consider dumping by phone. The only exception would be if the person were in prison or a mental institution, or had fled overseas.

What Girls Said 9

• It all depends on your situation at hand at that given moment. If it is really a Bad relationship that is going down a bad beaten path, then yes, I would have to say a 'Phone call' is best from the rest.
    However, if the relationship really does call for face to face, then do this with grace... or even a kind and generous email or Dear John letter to get it all out in the open.
    Good luck. xx

• Just a side, you have answered a few of my questions in the last few days and you give really fab advice. Thanks!

• Why, thank you, sweetie, you just made my day and glad to have been able to oblige once more... so welcome. xxoo

• I actually broke up with a guy through text but that's because he hit me. So I didn't care.

• Yeah if you don't care about them. Maybe its because I'm a sadistic bitch but I think it would be funny

• Depends on situation. And the guy.
    I mean do you feel you owe a good break up talk with him? I believe people show their real faces when they go. So if you are not cheated on or you do not have any bad memories with him, face to face is better.

• no i don't think so... you better tell the person face to face

• That's a total jerk move.

• That's a bit rude at least face them

• It isn't okay. I have and I regretted it 😬

• Absolutely not. Be straight with them, and tell them how you feel.